What is the power loss due to resistance in the line?

In summary, a high-voltage transmission line with a resistance of 0.30 ohm/km carries a current of 1050 A from a power station at 670 kV to a city located 164 km away. The total resistance of the power line is 49.2 ohm km. Using the formula W = AdeltaV, the total power loss due to resistance is 703500000 W. This represents a fraction of the transmitted power, but it cannot be determined without knowing the total power being transmitted.
BunDa4Th

Homework Statement

A high-voltage transmission line with a resistance of 0.30ohm/km carries a current of 1050 A. The line is at a potential of 670 kV at the power station and carries the current to a city located 164 km from the station.

(a) What is the power loss due to resistance in the line? W

(b) What fraction of the transmitted power does this loss represent? %

Homework Equations

W = AdeltaV

The Attempt at a Solution

first i did 1050A/1000 to convert that into 1.05 kA (not sure if this is correct)

then i did 1.05 x 670 = 703.5 kW or 703500 W (still not sure if I am doing this correctly)

that is when i get lost on how to do the next step, but from what i been doing i think i am doing it wrong and it will only lead me to confuse myself even more.

thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the resistance of the power line?

Given that and voltage or current power loss is easy.

the resistance of the power line is .30 ohm/km and the current is 1050 A

You need the total resistance.

.30 ohm/km x 164 km = 49.2 ohm km (total resistance)

BunDa4Th said:
.30 ohm/km x 164 km = 49.2 ohm km (total resistance)

Think a bit about the units you have written on the above number.

Now that you have the resistance you should be able to complete the proplem.

Okay, i been trying to figure this out and still lost on how I would go about finding the power loss due to the resistance.

I know that to get the total power its A x DeltaV = total W

so i did 1050A x 670000 = 703500000 W (which might be wrong) since i think 670 kV = 670000

that is where i am unsure what to do next or what I need to do with the total resistance

Related to What is the power loss due to resistance in the line?

1. What is power loss due to resistance in the line?

Power loss due to resistance in the line is the amount of energy that is dissipated or wasted as heat as electricity flows through a wire or other conductor with resistance. This loss is caused by the resistance of the material the conductor is made of and the length and thickness of the wire.

2. How does resistance affect power loss in a line?

The higher the resistance in a line, the greater the power loss will be. This is because more energy is required to push the electricity through the wire against its resistance, resulting in more heat being generated and energy being lost.

3. Is power loss due to resistance constant or does it vary?

Power loss due to resistance varies and is dependent on the amount of current flowing through the line and the resistance of the material. The higher the current, the greater the power loss will be.

4. How can power loss due to resistance be minimized?

Power loss due to resistance can be minimized by using materials with lower resistance, such as copper, for the conductor. Additionally, using thicker wires can also reduce resistance and therefore decrease power loss. Proper installation, maintenance, and regular cleaning of connections can also help minimize power loss.

5. What are the consequences of high power loss due to resistance?

High power loss due to resistance can lead to a decrease in the efficiency of a system, as more energy is being wasted as heat instead of being used for its intended purpose. This can also result in higher energy costs and potential damage to the equipment. In extreme cases, power loss due to resistance can even cause fires or electrical hazards.