What is the power output of a car engine?

• Thread starter hasan_researc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classical
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for order of magnitude estimates in various scenarios. In the first scenario, the conversation calculates the gravitational energy, velocity, and period of a 100kg satellite in low Earth orbit. In the second scenario, the conversation calculates the kinetic energy of a car traveling at 70mph and discusses the difficulty in determining the power output of a car engine without additional information.
hasan_researc

Homework Statement

In each of the following, an order of magnitude estimate is required. Estimate

i) the gravitational energy of a 100kg satellite in low Earth orbit, the velocity of the satellite, and the period of the orbit.

ii) the kinetic energy of a car traveling at 70mph and the power output of
a car engine.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution:

i) U = GMm/r2, where r = radius of (low earth) orbit radius of Earth = 6400 km and mass of Earth = 6*1024 kg.

Plugging numbers gives U = 6.3*109 J.

Such a big number looks a bit odd. Is this a realistic number? (or am I worng somewhere?)

v = sqrt(GM/r), so v = 750 km/s.

Assuming a circular orbit, v = 2*pi*r/T, so the time period T = 52s. !

I think this means my velocity is wrong, which U is wrong, but where IS the mistake?

ii) 1 mile = 1.6 km.
mass of (typical) train = 2000 kg.
So, K = 0.5mv2 = 3.1*104 J.

I don't know how to work out the power.

Any help I would greatly appreciate.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might have put wrong numbers somewhere i guess. I get v = ~7800 m/s. maybe you put value of r in your v equation in kilometers...
About second, engine power output could have any value, one needs more information to tell power that just a speed. If there is frictional loss, then car could travel at those 70 mph forever with engine turned off.

Actually, I have to find the power output of a car engine without being given any values !

Related to What is the power output of a car engine?

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces acting on them. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and can be used to describe the behavior of macroscopic objects.

2. What are some common examples of classical mechanics?

Some common examples of classical mechanics include the motion of planets around the sun, the trajectory of a projectile, and the behavior of simple machines like levers and pulleys.

3. How does classical mechanics differ from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of objects on a macroscopic scale, while quantum mechanics is used to understand the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics introduces probabilistic behavior.

4. What are some real-world applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications, including designing bridges and buildings, predicting the motion of satellites, and developing machines and vehicles.

5. Can classical mechanics be used to explain all physical phenomena?

No, classical mechanics is limited in its ability to explain certain phenomena, such as the behavior of subatomic particles or the effects of relativity. This is why other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity, were developed to explain these phenomena.

Back