What is the prevalence of long-term lurkers on online science forums?

• Thread starter Highway_Dylan
  • Start date
In summary, the prevalence of long-term lurkers on online science forums varies depending on the specific forum and its community. Some forums may have a high percentage of lurkers who rarely or never actively participate, while others may have a more engaged community with fewer lurkers. However, it is generally accepted that a large portion of forum users are lurkers who prefer to read and observe rather than actively contribute to discussions. This phenomenon has been observed in various online communities and may be attributed to factors such as shyness, fear of criticism, or lack of time. Overall, the prevalence of long-term lurkers highlights the importance of creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all types of forum users.
Highway_Dylan
Hello everybody! I have recently completed my MSc in physics and probably will soon continue toward a PHD. I have been lurking around here for quite some time and decided to make an account. My primary fields of interest are condensed matter and computational physics.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. We're glad to have you as an active member rather than a lurker.

It is somewhat mysterious for us wondering how many long-term lurkers we have.

Hello Dylan, :welcome: !

And I do a hats off for your very first post ! (Well both of the first two, actually) :smile:
Best of luck with your PhD !

Likes Highway_Dylan
anorlunda said:
Welcome to PF. We're glad to have you as an active member rather than a lurker.

It is somewhat mysterious for us wondering how many long-term lurkers we have.

I've been lurking for about 2 years (it's a stupid habit I have) so there may be quite a few others around 😱😅

Likes berkeman