What Is the Probability an Email Quarantined as Spam Is Actually Spam?

In summary, the probability that an email will be quarantined as spam is 2%. The probability that it will be spam is .45, and the probability that it will be genuine is .5.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

45% of emails sent to my account is spam. i set up a filter but it fails toquarantine 2% of spam and in advertently quarantines5% of genuine emails.
What is the probability that an email will be quarantined as spam?
if an email is qurantined as spam what is the probability that is actually spam?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i take it that this isconditional probabability so the I am looking at P(alb) = P(a[itex]\cap[/itex]b) / P(b)

but I am not sure as to what to use as a and b
B is going to be the probability of it being spam in the first place which will be .45
as it misses 2% of spam and included 5% of genuine emails.
so is a 0.45 - 0.009 + 0.011 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi gtfitzpatrick! :smile:

to make it clearer, so you can use P(alb) = P(a[itex]\cap[/itex]b) / P(b), rewrite …
gtfitzpatrick said:
What is the probability that an email will be quarantined as spam?
if an email is qurantined as spam what is the probability that is actually spam?

as …

If email what-proportion quarantined email ?

If quarantined email what-proportion spam quarantined email ? :wink:

hi Tim :)
if email-44.65 quarantined spam?(misses 2% of 45% + 5% of 55%?)

To add on to Tiny Tim's hints, I would start by first defining a useful notation, how about the following:
Q - quarantined
nQ = q - not quarantined
S - Spam
nS = s - not Spam

Note that Q & nQ=q, and S & nS=s each are a closed set of multually exclusive events, that is
P(Q∩q) = 0
P(Q) + P(q) = 1
P(S∩s) = 0
P(S) + P(s) = 1

Now using the above terminoology, how would you write the following 3 phrases from the question:
Probabilty of emails sent to my account is spam = 45%
Probabilty of fails to quarantine of spam = Probabilty of fails to quarantine given spam = 2%
Probabilty of quarantines genuine email = Probabilty of quarantines given genuine = 5%

Once you have all these it should be clearer where to go

Related to What Is the Probability an Email Quarantined as Spam Is Actually Spam?

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is calculated by dividing the probability of both events occurring by the probability of the first event occurring.

2. How is conditional probability different from regular probability?

Regular probability looks at the likelihood of a single event occurring, while conditional probability takes into account the occurrence of another event before calculating the likelihood of a specific event.

3. What is the formula for calculating conditional probability?

The formula for calculating conditional probability is P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where P(A|B) represents the probability of event A occurring given that event B has already occurred.

4. Can you provide an example of conditional probability?

One example of conditional probability is rolling a die. The probability of rolling a 6 is 1/6. However, if we are given the condition that the number rolled is even, the probability of rolling a 6 becomes 1/3.

5. How is conditional probability used in real life?

Conditional probability is used in many real-life scenarios, such as weather forecasting, medical diagnoses, and insurance risk assessment. It allows us to make more accurate predictions by taking into account the occurrence of certain events.

Back