What Is the Probability of Detecting Cheating or Sampling Specific Blood Groups?

In summary, we discussed two problems involving probability. In the first problem, we calculated the probability of a random sample of size 6 containing two people from each of three blood groups. The formula used was (10/20)(9/19)(5/18)(4/17)(5/16)(4/15) divided by (2!)^3. In the second problem, we calculated the probability of detecting cheating when three tablets are randomly selected from a bottle containing 2 performance enhancing drugs and 8 vitamin tablets. This was done using the hypergeometric distribution, with N1 = 2 of type 1 (drugs) and N2 = 8 of type 2 (vitamins). Other methods such as using
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

1. A group of people contains 10 with blood group O, 5 with blood group A and 5 with blood group B. Give a formula for the probability that a random sample of size 6 will contain two people from each group.

2. An athlete conceals 2 performance enhancing drugs in a bottle containing 8 vitamin tablets. If three tablets are selected at random for testing what is the probability cheating will be detected?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To get the six people having two from each group would it be
(10/20)(9/19)(5/18)(4/17)(5/16)(4/15) and there are 6! ways this can be arranged so my answer would be
P = 6!(10/20)(9/19)(5/18)(4/17)(5/16)(4/15)

Is this correct?

For part 2, there is 10 tablets in total. We take a sample of 3 tablets.
I'm sure there's a fancier way of doing this but all I can think of is this
P(drugs detected) = P(1 drug found) + P(2 drugs found)
= 3!(2/10)(8/9)(7/8) + 3!(2/10)(1/9)(8/8)

Physics news on Phys.org

Maybe_Memorie said:

Homework Statement

1. A group of people contains 10 with blood group O, 5 with blood group A and 5 with blood group B. Give a formula for the probability that a random sample of size 6 will contain two people from each group.

(10/20)(9/19)(5/18)(4/17)(5/16)(4/15) and there are 6! ways this can be arranged so my answer would be

Is this correct?
Almost. You need to divide by (2!)3 because you're double-counting each pair. That is, you're counting X getting picked first and then Y separately from Y getting picked first and then X, for each pair.

vela said:
Almost. You need to divide by (2!)3 because you're double-counting each pair. That is, you're counting X getting picked first and then Y separately from Y getting picked first and then X, for each pair.

Ah yes I see! :smile:

Is my part 2 correct? Is there any other way of going about it?

Maybe_Memorie said:

Homework Statement

2. An athlete conceals 2 performance enhancing drugs in a bottle containing 8 vitamin tablets. If three tablets are selected at random for testing what is the probability cheating will be detected?

Same mistake as before. You're double-counting the pairs.

Maybe_Memorie said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Is this correct?

In your part 2: your answer adds up to 16/15 > 1!

In both cases you have a hypergeometric-type problem: in 1, it is a 3-category hypergeometric, with N1 = 10 of type 1, N2 = 5 of type 2 and N3 = 5 of type 3.

In case 2 you have a standard (2-category) hypergeometric, with N1 = 2 of type 1 and N2 = 8 of type 2. You can easily get P{no type 1 in sample of size 3}.

See. eg., http://stattrek.com/lesson2/hypergeometric.aspx or
http://www.stat.ufl.edu/~berg/sta5325/files/sta5325-12.pdf for the hypergeometric.

In part 1 you have a multi-class version of the hypergeometric, which is not usually done in easily-accessible web pages. Think of it like this: P{k1,k2,k3} = P{k1 type 1, k2+k3 type 2 or 3}*P{k2 type 2, k3 type 3|k2 + k3 type 2 or 3}. Each factor is a simple hypergeometric probability as found in the cited web pages.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe_Memorie said:
Is there any other way of going about it?
Do you know about binomial coefficients? Both problems can be solved easily using them.

In problem 2, you could also find the probability of not getting caught, i.e. the probability of choosing 3 vitamin tablets, and then subtract that from 1 to find the probability of getting caught.

vela said:
Do you know about binomial coefficients? Both problems can be solved easily using them.

In problem 2, you could also find the probability of not getting caught, i.e. the probability of choosing 3 vitamin tablets, and then subtract that from 1 to find the probability of getting caught.

Yes, I was trying originally to apply the binomial method but couldn't see how to...

Ray Vickson said:
In your part 2: your answer adds up to 16/15 > 1!

In both cases you have a hypergeometric-type problem: in 1, it is a 3-category hypergeometric, with N1 = 10 of type 1, N2 = 5 of type 2 and N3 = 5 of type 3.

In case 2 you have a standard (2-category) hypergeometric, with N1 = 2 of type 1 and N2 = 8 of type 2. You can easily get P{no type 1 in sample of size 3}.

See. eg., http://stattrek.com/lesson2/hypergeometric.aspx or
http://www.stat.ufl.edu/~berg/sta5325/files/sta5325-12.pdf for the hypergeometric.

In part 1 you have a multi-class version of the hypergeometric, which is not usually done in easily-accessible web pages. Think of it like this: P{k1,k2,k3} = P{k1 type 1, k2+k3 type 2 or 3}*P{k2 type 2, k3 type 3|k2 + k3 type 2 or 3}. Each factor is a simple hypergeometric probability as found in the cited web pages.

RGV

Thanks! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe_Memorie said:
Yes, I was trying originally to apply the binomial method but couldn't see how to...
For the second problem, you could calculate the probability of selecting three vitamin tablets. That would be equal to the number of ways you can select 3 tablets from the 8 vitamin tablets divided by the total number of ways to select 3 tablets from the 10 tablets.

You could also calculate the desired probability directly. For example, if you wanted to calculate the number of ways to select 1 drug and 2 vitamin tablets, for example, the total number of ways to do that is the number of ways to select 1 drug tablet from the 2 possible multiplied by the number of ways to draw 2 tablets from the 8 vitamin tablets.

Related to What Is the Probability of Detecting Cheating or Sampling Specific Blood Groups?

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How do you calculate probability?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you want to know the probability of rolling a 4 on a standard die, you would divide 1 (the number of desired outcomes) by 6 (the total number of possible outcomes) to get a probability of 1/6 or approximately 0.1667.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual observations and may differ from theoretical probability due to random chance or other factors.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are those where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event. Dependent events, on the other hand, are those where the outcome of one event does depend on the outcome of another event.

How can probability be used in real life?

Probability is used in fields such as statistics, economics, and science to make predictions and inform decision-making. It can also be used in everyday situations, such as calculating the chances of winning a game of chance or predicting the likelihood of a certain outcome in a situation.

Back