What is the probability of drawing cards from a deck?

In summary, there are different ways to approach probability problems involving drawing cards, including using binomial and multinomial coefficients. It is important to consider all possible combinations and orderings when calculating the probability.
Probably
It's been some time since I studied probability. So, forgive me if this seems like a very simple question to answer, but after trying to wrap my head around it for two days without any success, I'm confident that once I understand it, the rest will become very clear.

Let me start with what I know:

Given a well-shuffled deck, what is the probability that the first hand drawn will be a 21 (an ace and a ten-valued card [T,J,Q,K])?

I know that drawing an ace will occur (4/52) and a ten will occur (16/51). Since the ten could have been drawn first, the probability is 2*(4/52)*(16/51) = 0.4827.

First question: Technically, should the equation be written as 2! * (4/52) * (16/51) = 0.4827 (note the factorial)?

Secondly, is there a generic form that allows me to calculate the probability of drawing cards? For example, drawing three 5s? Three aces and a four?

Am I correct for three 5s to write (4/52)*(3/51)*(2/50)*3! and (4/52)*(3/51)*(2/50)*(4/49)*4! for the three aces and a four?

I'm trying to write an algorithm to gather probabilities of drawing cards. I was surprised at being able to solve a subset sum problem earlier yet these basic probability problems elude me. :-/

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you miscounted:

There is a 4/52 chance of an ace in the first draw and a 16/51 of a 10-value on the second.

There is a 48/52 chance you didn't draw an ace first time ...
in which event, there is a 16/48 chance of a 10-value first and a 4/51 chance of an ace the second time.

Spot the difference.

afaik: there s no generic form apart from the kind of reasoning you just used.

Probably said:
It's been some time since I studied probability. So, forgive me if this seems like a very simple question to answer, but after trying to wrap my head around it for two days without any success, I'm confident that once I understand it, the rest will become very clear.

Let me start with what I know:

Given a well-shuffled deck, what is the probability that the first hand drawn will be a 21 (an ace and a ten-valued card [T,J,Q,K])?

I know that drawing an ace will occur (4/52) and a ten will occur (16/51). Since the ten could have been drawn first, the probability is 2*(4/52)*(16/51) = 0.4827.

First question: Technically, should the equation be written as 2! * (4/52) * (16/51) = 0.4827 (note the factorial)?

Secondly, is there a generic form that allows me to calculate the probability of drawing cards? For example, drawing three 5s? Three aces and a four?

Am I correct for three 5s to write (4/52)*(3/51)*(2/50)*3! and (4/52)*(3/51)*(2/50)*(4/49)*4! for the three aces and a four?

I'm trying to write an algorithm to gather probabilities of drawing cards. I was surprised at being able to solve a subset sum problem earlier yet these basic probability problems elude me. :-/

Thank you!
I would think of the first problem as drawing anyone of four (4 C 1), and anyone of a different 16 (16 C 1), compared with all the ways of drawing 2 from 52 (52 C 2). That gives 4*16*2/52*51 = approx .048. (You appear to have a factor of 10 error.)
But there are often many valid ways of approaching these problems.
(Simon, I think your way is not valid.)
For your more complicated example, (4 C 3)*(4 C 3)*(4 C 1)/(52 C 7). I leave you to check whether that's the same as you got.

(Simon, I think your way is not valid.)
So see if you can fault the reasoning ;)

I just constructed the probability tree ... here's the numbers:

(4/52)*(16/51)+(16/48)*(48/52)*(4/51) = 0.048265

Simon Bridge said:
So see if you can fault the reasoning ;)

I just constructed the probability tree ... here's the numbers:

(4/52)*(16/51)+(16/48)*(48/52)*(4/51) = 0.048265

OK, I misunderstood. You said denjay had miscounted, so I assumed you had arrived at a different number. Apart from the factor of 10 error, denjay's answer was correct.

Fair enough. denjay said: 2*(4/52)*(16/51) = 0.4827 with the "2*" in there because "the ten could have been drawn first"... i.e. two different ways of getting the result.

mine was (4/52)(16/51)+(4/51)(16/52)
as it happened ... this this is the same calculation but (possibly) arrived at by counting in a different way. I had not computed the number - so missed the factor of ten - I was commenting on the reasoning. It could have been that OP was aware of the difference though and had just missed out a step ;)

Probably said:
First question: Technically, should the equation be written as 2! * (4/52) * (16/51) ?
Yes, that is one way the write it, and you have arrived at the result in a way that is easy to generalize.
Yes, for example the following will encompass all of your three examples:

Assume we have a deck of N cards, with ni of the cards labelled with the integer i, where i=1,2,3,...,a, and Ʃni=N. If we draw r cards at random, what is the probability of getting exactly ri labelled i, for i=1,2,...,a, and Ʃri=r?

If we simply count the number of desired possibilites, divided by all possibilities, we arrive at the following fomula involving binomial coefficients:

Probability = (n1 r1)(n2 r2)...(na ra)/(N r)
In the first case you should not multiply with 3!, and in the second case you should multiply with 4 instead of 4!. The moral is to multiply with the number of different orderings of your cards, ignoring suits. In general, this is a multinomial coefficient. Your counting strategy, including a multinomial coefficient, can also be used in full generality to arrive at the formula given above.

Related to What is the probability of drawing cards from a deck?

1. What is the probability of drawing a specific card from a deck?

The probability of drawing a specific card from a deck depends on the number of cards in the deck and the number of copies of that specific card. For example, if there are 52 cards in a deck and 4 copies of the card you are looking for, the probability would be 4/52 or approximately 7.7%.

2. What is the probability of drawing a certain suit from a deck?

The probability of drawing a certain suit from a deck also depends on the number of cards in the deck and the number of cards of that suit. For a standard 52-card deck, there are 13 cards in each suit, so the probability would be 13/52 or approximately 25%.

3. What is the probability of drawing a face card from a deck?

The probability of drawing a face card (Jack, Queen, King) from a deck depends on the number of face cards in the deck, which is 12 (4 of each). So the probability would be 12/52 or approximately 23.1%.

4. What is the probability of drawing a card that is not a face card?

The probability of drawing a card that is not a face card can be calculated by subtracting the number of face cards (12) from the total number of cards (52), then dividing that by the total number of cards. So the probability would be (52-12)/52 or approximately 76.9%.

5. What is the probability of drawing two specific cards in a row?

The probability of drawing two specific cards in a row can be calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of drawing each card. For example, if you want to know the probability of drawing a King of Hearts and then a Queen of Hearts, the probability would be (1/52)*(1/51) or approximately 0.0059%.