What is the Probability of Getting an Ace in a Standard Deck of Cards?

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of each player getting an ace and one player getting all the spades when dividing a standard deck of cards among 4 players. The correct expression for part (a) is (4 choose 1)(51 choose 12)(3 choose 1)(48 choose 12)(2 choose 1)(45 choose 12)(1 choose 1)(42 choose 12) divided by (52 choose 13)(39 choose 13)(26 choose 13). The total number of possible deals is (52 choose 13)(39 choose 13)(26 choose 13).
mynameisfunk

Homework Statement

1. All 52 cards of a standard deck of cards are divided equally among 4 players.
(a) What is the probability that each player gets an ace?
(b) And that one player get all the spades?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

part (a) http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-help/attachments/f8/19068d1285520980-probabilititty-1a.gif

part (b) 1/(52 choose 13)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Could you elucidate on how you got your expression for part a? It's clearly wrong, as it evaluates to about 10^-18. I mean, deal out a few bridge hands with a deck of cards and you'll get a hand where everyone has an ace.

Now the way the question for part b reads to me is "what's the probability that everyone will get an ace AND someone will get all the spades?" If it's just asking a different question, "what is the probability that someone will get dealt all the spades?" your answer is close to right, but remember that there are 4 people who could possibly get all the spades.

for part (a) i figured the bottom would be all possible ways to deal out the cards. and the top, 4 choose 1 ways for the first guy to get an ace and then 48 choose 12 ways to get ...wait a minute here now..

Ok, I think I meant to put (4 choose 1)(51 choose 12) +(3 choose 1)(48 choose... etc for the numerator. But it turns out that is still really small.

OK, well there must be something wrong with my denominator. I'm really unsure of how to calculate the total number of possible ways to deal out the cards.

Here's a straightforward method. Somebody gets the first ace, always. Now figure out the probability that a different guy gets the next ace. Then do it again. And again. Now multiply all those numbers together.

Figuring out how many possible deals there are is kind of overkill. (It's (52 13)*(39 13)*(26 13) by the way).

EDIT: Oh, I looked back at your work. You did do the denominator right. Multiply your numerator things together instead of adding them.

Related to What is the Probability of Getting an Ace in a Standard Deck of Cards?

What is probability calculation?

Probability calculation is a mathematical process used to determine the likelihood of a particular event occurring. It involves using known information or data to make predictions about the chances of an outcome.

Why is probability calculation important in science?

Probability calculation is important in science because it helps us understand and make predictions about the natural world. It allows us to quantify the chances of certain events happening and make informed decisions based on those probabilities.

What are some common methods used for probability calculation?

Some common methods used for probability calculation include using the laws of probability, tree diagrams, and mathematical formulas such as the binomial distribution and Bayes' theorem.

How can probability calculation be used in scientific research?

Probability calculation can be used in scientific research to analyze data, test hypotheses, and make predictions. It is also used to determine the significance of results and to make decisions about experimental designs.

What are some real-world applications of probability calculation?

Probability calculation has many real-world applications, such as predicting weather patterns, assessing risk in insurance and finance, and analyzing data in fields like medicine and genetics. It is also used in decision-making processes in business and economics.