What is the probability of overflowing urns?

• Thread starter ProbProblems
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses an expected value problem where B balls are being placed in U urns with a probability of Pi for each urn. The expected number of overflows is 1, as each urn is expected to be filled with one ball resulting in no overflows.
ProbProblems

Homework Statement

Let's say we're placing balls in urns, and there are B balls and U urns. Each urn can only hold 1 ball. An overflow is when we try to place a ball in an urn that is already occupied. If B<=U and each urn has it's own probability of Pi of having a ball placed in the urn, where the sum of all Pi is 1, what is the expected number of overflows?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an expected value problem, meaning that we need to model the probability of overflowing. When the first ball is placed, it can't overflow. The next ball has probability pi overflowing because a ball occupies the urn with P1. The third ball has probability of (P2+P1). This continues until the Bth ball, which has a probability of overflowing of (P1+P2+P3+...+PB-1).
Clearly you can't just sum these probabilities for each ball placement, so I'm thinking the right thing to do is take the compliment, putting those to the power of the number of balls you have and subtracting the whole thing from 1. So...
P(Overflowing) = 1 - ((1-(P1))B + (1-(P2+P1))B + ... + (1-(P1+P2+P3+...+PB-1))B)
I'm not sure if this is right, but then we have to compute the expected value, and I'm unsure how to do that given the nature of the above probability.
I take it for the expected value you we take the sum of the following...
P(overflow 1 ball)*(1) + P(overflow 2 balls)*2 + ... + P(overflow B balls)*B. If this is correct, I don't really expect my above probability analysis is correct. Thoughts? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your thinking. To calculate the expected number of overflows, we need to consider the probability of each possible outcome (i.e. the number of overflows) and multiply it by the corresponding number of overflows. In this case, the possible outcomes are 0, 1, 2, ..., B overflows.

Based on your analysis, the probability of having k overflows when placing B balls can be represented as:

P(k overflows) = (1-(P1))^B + (1-(P2+P1))^B + ... + (1-(P1+P2+P3+...+PB-1))^B

To calculate the expected number of overflows, we would then multiply each possible outcome by its corresponding number of overflows and sum them up, giving us:

E(number of overflows) = 0*P(0 overflows) + 1*P(1 overflows) + 2*P(2 overflows) + ... + B*P(B overflows)

= 0*(1-(P1))^B + 1*(1-(P2+P1))^B + 2*(1-(P1+P2+P3+...+PB-1))^B + ... + B*(1-(P1+P2+P3+...+PB-1))^B

= (1-(P1))^B + (1-(P2+P1))^B + ... + (1-(P1+P2+P3+...+PB-1))^B

= P(0 overflows) + P(1 overflows) + ... + P(B overflows)

= 1

Therefore, the expected number of overflows is 1. This makes intuitive sense, as with B balls and B urns, it is expected that each urn will be filled with one ball, resulting in no overflows.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further doubts or concerns, please feel free to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!Scientist

Related to What is the probability of overflowing urns?

1. What is an overflowing urn in terms of probability?

An overflowing urn is a concept in probability theory where a large number of items are randomly placed into an urn. As more items are added, the urn becomes full and overflows, making it impossible to add more items. The probability of overflowing urns refers to the likelihood that this will occur when items are added to the urn randomly.

2. How is the probability of overflowing urns calculated?

The probability of overflowing urns can be calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the number of items in the urn and the size of the urn. It is also affected by the method of adding items to the urn, such as whether items are added randomly or in a specific pattern.

3. What factors affect the probability of overflowing urns?

The probability of overflowing urns can be affected by several factors, including the size of the urn, the number of items in the urn, and the method of adding items to the urn. Additionally, the probability may change if items are removed from the urn or if the items have varying sizes or weights.

4. Can the probability of overflowing urns be manipulated?

The probability of overflowing urns cannot be manipulated, as it is a mathematical calculation based on the parameters of the urn and the items being added to it. However, the probability can be influenced by changing the parameters, such as the size of the urn or the method of adding items.

5. How is the concept of overflowing urns used in real-life scenarios?

The concept of overflowing urns is used in various fields, such as economics, biology, and computer science, to model and predict random events. For example, it can be used to estimate the likelihood of a certain drug being effective in a population or the probability of a computer system crashing due to too much data.