What is the probability that one is hired and one is not?

• MHB
  • Thread starter elimeli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability that one person is hired and one is not in a random hiring process of 12 people for 5 positions is 35/66. The sample space is C(12, 5) and the number of ways one person can be hired is C(2,1). The remaining people and positions can be allocated in C(10,4) ways. Therefore, the probability is C(2,1) * C(10,4) / C(12,5).
elimeli
I cannot get past this question:

Assume that 12 people, including the husband and wife pair, apply for 5 sales positions. People are hired at random. What is the probability that one is hired and one is not?

The sample space is C(12, 5). I tried finding first the probability that one is hired, which I suppose it's C(11,4). However, I am not sure how I am supposed to go about with finding the probability for not hiring one. I assumed C(11, 5), but then it wouldn't work if I try to multiply it with C(11,4) to find the event of both situations happening at the same time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
elimeli said:
I cannot get past this question:

Assume that 12 people, including the husband and wife pair, apply for 5 sales positions. People are hired at random. What is the probability that one is hired and one is not?

The sample space is C(12, 5). I tried finding first the probability that one is hired, which I suppose it's C(11,4). However, I am not sure how I am supposed to go about with finding the probability for not hiring one. I assumed C(11, 5), but then it wouldn't work if I try to multiply it with C(11,4) to find the event of both situations happening at the same time.

Hi elimeli,

You are on the right track but let's start with a simpler question. What is the probability of 1 person being hired for one of the positions?

Jameson said:
Hi elimeli,

You are on the right track but let's start with a simpler question. What is the probability of 1 person being hired for one of the positions?

Wouldn't it be C(11,4)? Because that would mean that somebody already took 1 job and 11 people would remain for the 4 vacant spots...?

Let's put it like this.

If only one of the two is hired then the number of ways this can happen is \(\displaystyle \binom{2}{1}\). What about the other remaining positions?

Hint: There are 10 people remaining. How many jobs remaining?

Jameson said:
Let's put it like this.

If only one of the two is hired then the number of ways this can happen is \(\displaystyle \binom{2}{1}\). What about the other remaining positions?

Hint: There are 10 people remaining. How many jobs remaining?

Since some time has passed I'll go ahead and post my solution to this problem.

The number of ways one of the two can be hired is \(\displaystyle \binom{2}{1}\). For the remaining people and positions, the number of ways to allocate them is \(\displaystyle \binom{10}{4}\).

As the OP correctly stated the sample space is \(\displaystyle \binom{12}{5}\).

Putting this all together the probability is \(\displaystyle \frac{\binom{2}{1}\binom{10}{4}}{\binom{12}{5}}=\frac{35}{66}\)

Related to What is the probability that one is hired and one is not?

What is the probability that one is hired and one is not?

The probability that one is hired and one is not depends on several factors, such as the number of applicants, the qualifications of the candidates, and the hiring process of the company. Without these specific details, it is impossible to accurately determine the probability.

What is the difference between probability and possibility?

Probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring based on mathematical calculations and data, while possibility refers to the chance of something happening without any evidence or data to support it. In other words, probability is a more concrete and measurable concept than possibility.

How can we calculate the probability of being hired?

The probability of being hired can be calculated by dividing the number of successful outcomes (getting hired) by the total number of possible outcomes (applying for the job). For example, if 100 people apply for a job and only 10 are hired, the probability of being hired is 10/100 or 10%.

What factors influence the probability of being hired?

The probability of being hired can be influenced by various factors, such as the applicant's qualifications, experience, skills, and performance during the interview process. Other factors may include the job market, the company's hiring policies, and the candidate's references and background check.

Can the probability of being hired be increased?

Yes, the probability of being hired can be increased by improving one's qualifications, gaining relevant experience, and preparing for the job interview. Networking, building a strong resume, and showcasing relevant skills and achievements can also increase the chances of being hired.