What is the Proof for the Sum to Infinity of an Infinite Geometric Progression?

In summary, the author of the book claims that the sum of all the terms after the nth is equal to twice the nth term, however, if ##a \ne 0## then the result of substituting in the given equation is that ##r=2/3##.
Appleton

Homework Statement

An infinite geometric progression is such that the sum of all the terms after the nth is equal to twice the nth term. Show that the sum to infinity of the whole progression is three times the first term.

Homework Equations

[/B]
[itex] S_{n} = \frac{a(1-r^n)}{1-r}\\
S_{\infty} = \frac{a}{1-r}\\
[/itex]
Where a is equal to the first term of the geometric series and r is equal to the common ratio.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The sum of all the terms after the nth =
[itex]\frac{a}{1-r} - \frac{a(1-r^n)}{1-r}
[/itex]

Twice the nth term =
[itex]2ar^{n-1}\\
[/itex]

So
[itex]\frac{a}{1-r} - \frac{a(1-r^n)}{1-r} = 2ar^{n-1}\\
[/itex]
I need to show that
[itex]\frac{a}{1-r} = 3a\\
[/itex]

a = 2ar^{n-1}(1-r) + a(1-r^n)\\
2ar^{n-1}=3ar^{n}\\
\frac{2a}{r}=3a
[/itex]

But
[itex]
\frac{2a}{r} \ne \frac{a}{1-r}
[/itex]
So either I've made an error, or much less likely, the author of the book has.

Physics news on Phys.org
Appleton said:

Homework Statement

An infinite geometric progression is such that the sum of all the terms after the nth is equal to twice the nth term. Show that the sum to infinity of the whole progression is three times the first term.

Homework Equations

[/B]
[itex] S_{n} = \frac{a(1-r^n)}{1-r}\\
S_{\infty} = \frac{a}{1-r}\\
[/itex]
Where a is equal to the first term of the geometric series and r is equal to the common ratio.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The sum of all the terms after the nth =
[itex]\frac{a}{1-r} - \frac{a(1-r^n)}{1-r}
[/itex]

Twice the nth term =
[itex]2ar^{n-1}\\
[/itex]

So
[/itex]
I need to show that
[itex]\frac{a}{1-r} = 3a\\
[/itex]

a = 2ar^{n-1}(1-r) + a(1-r^n)\\
2ar^{n-1}=3ar^{n}\\
\frac{2a}{r}=3a
[/itex]

So either I've made an error, or much less likely, the author of the book has.

Assuming ##a \ne 0## that last equation tells you that ##r = 2/3##. Use that to write down your series again and see if the result isn't true.

Likes Appleton
Thanks for your reply, it seems I lost sight of the bigger picture.

Related to What is the Proof for the Sum to Infinity of an Infinite Geometric Progression?

What is a geometric series word problem?

A geometric series word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of a sequence of terms that follow a specific pattern or ratio. The terms in the sequence are typically multiplied by a constant factor to get the next term, and the goal is to find the total sum of all the terms in the sequence.

How do you solve a geometric series word problem?

To solve a geometric series word problem, you can use the formula for the sum of a geometric series: S = a * (1 - r^n) / (1 - r), where "a" is the first term, "r" is the common ratio, and "n" is the number of terms in the series. Plug in the values given in the problem and solve for the sum S.

What are some real-life applications of geometric series word problems?

Geometric series word problems can be used to model natural phenomena such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They can also be applied in engineering and financial fields to calculate the total cost or revenue of a project with a fixed rate of change.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving geometric series word problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the formula for the sum of a geometric series and instead adding up all the terms individually. Another mistake is using the wrong value for the number of terms, as the formula requires the total number of terms, not the number of terms added in each step.

How can I check if my solution to a geometric series word problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in the values for the first term, common ratio, and number of terms into the formula for the sum of a geometric series. You can also use a calculator or spreadsheet to calculate the sum and compare it to your solution.