What is the proof that periods cancel out in finding angular displacement?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the relationship between periods and orbit radii in Kepler's Third Law. The conversation discusses how to set up a proportion and explains how it is equal to a constant. It also mentions that there are multiple proofs of this relationship.
Bashyboy
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120411050123AA0ar9P

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
Only I have one question concerning the answer that "E" provides in the link: why do periods cancel out?

Are you referring to this section of the solution?:

(θ_x)(T_x) = (θ_y)(T_y) = (θ_y)(T_x / √27)

The periods cancel, so

(θ_x) = (θ_y) / √27​

The center expression, "(θ_y)(T_y)", is just an intermediate step, and "(T_y)" is then replaced by "(T_x / √27)" to yield the relationship

(θ_x)(T_x) = (θ_y)(T_x / √27)

T_x occurs on both sides of the equality and can be canceled algebraically.

Actually, there is something before that, that I don't quite understand. Why are we allowed to set up this proportion (I never really understood proportions, so perhaps you could help me understand):

[itex]\frac{r_x^3}{T_x^2} = \frac{r_y^3}{T_y^2}[/itex]?

Bashyboy said:
Actually, there is something before that, that I don't quite understand. Why are we allowed to set up this proportion (I never really understood proportions, so perhaps you could help me understand):

[itex]\frac{r_x^3}{T_x^2} = \frac{r_y^3}{T_y^2}[/itex]?

That's an application of Kepler's Third Law: for all planets, the square of the period is proportional to the cube of the orbit radius, or ##T^2 \propto r^3##.

Well, what confuses me is, how is the left-side of the equation equal to the right-side?

Bashyboy said:
Well, what confuses me is, how is the left-side of the equation equal to the right-side?

Write the two proportionalities as equalities by introducing a constant of proportionality:

##r_x^3 = k T_x^2##

##r_y^3 = k T_y^2##

Now rearrange:

##\frac{r_x^3}{T_x^2} = k##

##\frac{r_y^3}{T_y^2} = k##

Both fractions equal k, so set them equal to each other.

So, both fractions always equal the same constant, no matter which pair of planets are being considred? Why is that so?

Bashyboy said:
So, both fractions always equal the same constant, no matter which pair of planets are being considred? Why is that so?

Kepler found the relationship empirically, hence his third law.

When Newton came along and developed his theory of gravity, he proved Kepler's relationship using it and his other laws.

Last edited:
Okay, so there several proofs of this fact. Thank you for indicating that.

Related to What is the proof that periods cancel out in finding angular displacement?

1. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is the measure of the change in an object's rotational position. It is usually measured in radians or degrees and can be positive or negative depending on the direction of rotation.

2. How is angular displacement different from linear displacement?

Angular displacement measures the change in rotational position while linear displacement measures the change in distance traveled in a straight line. They are two different types of displacement and have different units of measurement.

3. How is angular displacement calculated?

Angular displacement can be calculated by taking the difference between the initial and final angular position of an object. It is usually represented by the Greek letter "theta" (θ) and can be calculated in radians or degrees.

4. What is the relationship between angular displacement and angular velocity?

Angular displacement and angular velocity are related by the formula θ = ωt, where θ is the angular displacement, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time. This formula shows that the angular displacement is directly proportional to the angular velocity and the time.

5. How is angular displacement used in real-world applications?

Angular displacement is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to measure the rotation of objects, such as wheels and gears, and is also used in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies. It is also used in sports, such as measuring the rotation of a discus throw or a gymnast's body during a routine.