What is the purpose of introducing the transpose in this proof?

• Thread starter georg gill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof rank
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of transpose in a proof involving linear maps and matrices. The use of transpose is necessary to relate the properties of the rows to the columns. The conversation also presents a proof of the argument for the transpose and discusses the reduced surjective case. Ultimately, it is shown that the column rank of a matrix equals the row rank. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using more abstract proofs, but acknowledges the effectiveness of using linearity and matrix operations in this case.
georg gill
http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/8uu6tm

You can zoom in on the proof by tabs down to the left.

I have understood all of the proof until the last part where they introduce the transpose of A after they have proved that

row rank of A is equal or less than column rank of A. Why do they use the transpose?

Physics news on Phys.org
georg gill said:
http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/8uu6tm

You can zoom in on the proof by tabs down to the left.

I have understood all of the proof until the last part where they introduce the transpose of A after they have proved that

row rank of A is equal or less than column rank of A. Why do they use the transpose?

Hey georg gill.

The transpose basically turns all the rows into columns of a matrix. So basically row 1 becomes column 1, row 2 becomes column 2 and so on.

This is probably why they do the proof for the rows first because once you proven for the rows, then the transpose relates those same properties to the columns when you take the transpose.

f:V-->W, assume f is onto. then consider, f*:W*-->V*. claim it is injective.

(recall V* = linear maps V-->R.)

this injectivity is trivial, since distinct functions on W are distinguished at some pair of points of W,

and these are images of some pair of distinct points of V by surjectivity of f.

hence the rank of f equals the rank of f*. QED,

i.e. row rank = column rank.If you don't understand this argument, you will benefit from spending some time understandingwhat V* means and why the transpose of the matrix of V-->W,

is the matrix of the map W*-->V*.

mathwonk said:
f:V-->W, assume f is onto. then consider, f*:W*-->V*. claim it is injective.

(recall V* = linear maps V-->R.)

this injectivity is trivial, since distinct functions on W are distinguished at some pair of points of W,

and these are images of some pair of distinct points of V by surjectivity of f.

hence the rank of f equals the rank of f*. QED,

i.e. row rank = column rank.

If you don't understand this argument, you will benefit from spending some time understanding

what V* means and why the transpose of the matrix of V-->W,

is the matrix of the map W*-->V*.

i think it might be helpful to actually say what f* is, as well.

i assume you mean f*(φ) = φ○f.

for functions, in general (and thus linear transformations, in particular):

φ1○f = φ2○f → φ1 = φ2

when f is surjective (onto), if one allows that the axiom of choice is true

(i assume you chose to prove the contra-positive to avoid this subtlety,

but i believe that "exhibiting the w" for which this is true (for two arbitrary

distinct functions) amounts to the same thing).

i am not convinced that 2 distinct functions must disagree at two points,

it seems to me they might just disagree at only one, and really, one

point (of V) of disagreement is all you need to show that φ1○f, φ2○f are distinct.

you are right. then the argument works even easier. good for you. i was probably thinking visually and trying to translate into words. probably the two "points" i visualized were the two distinct functions, as points in function space. or maybe i was just confused. anyway, giving the argument correctly as you did, it follows that, at least for a surjective map V-->W. the column rank, i.e. the dimension of the image, equals the dimension of the image of the induced map (composition, as you said), W*-->V*. this is the column rank of the transpose of the original matrix, which equals the row rank of the original matrix.

now to see you can reduce to the surjective case, if I is the image of the map V-->W then the map factors as V-->I-->W, so that the dual map also factors as W*-->I*-->V*.Since I is the image of V-->W, the map V-->I

has the same rank as V-->W, and since V-->I is surjective it also has the same rank as I*-->V*,

by the special case we just did.

Since every linear map defined on I extends to W, (just enlarge a basis for I to a basis for W),

the restriction map W*-->I*, is surjective.then the rank of the composition W*-->V* equals the rank of the injective map I*-->V*,

i.e. it equals dim I = rank V-->W.Altogether, column rank = rank V-->W = rank W*-->V* = row rank.

Last edited:
It seems to me these arguments are only two steps away general abstract nonsense and even though they are very fine proofs because of that and als apply to more general functions it also seems to me the OP was about a linear. Thus using linearity and the fact that you can then use matrix operation and such is possible the more abstract proof might just obscure the facts.

FAQ: What is the purpose of introducing the transpose in this proof?

1. What does "Proof col rank=row rank" mean?

The statement "Proof col rank=row rank" refers to a property of a matrix, where the number of linearly independent columns is equal to the number of linearly independent rows.

2. How is "Proof col rank=row rank" proven?

This property can be proven using various methods, such as Gaussian elimination or the rank-nullity theorem.

3. Why is "Proof col rank=row rank" important?

This property is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of a matrix, and is often used in linear algebra and other mathematical fields.

4. Can "Proof col rank=row rank" be applied to all matrices?

Yes, this property holds true for all matrices, regardless of their size or entries.

5. How can "Proof col rank=row rank" be used in real-world applications?

This property has many applications in fields such as economics, engineering, and computer science, where matrices are used to model and solve real-world problems.

Back