What is the purpose of this extra bit on my pocket charger?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, the pocket charger has a small slot for a long thin connector which may be for powering the pocket charger or for a second phone. The port has two copper terminals which may be for power or configuration.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I recently bought this pocket charger for my phone.
Simple device, power in, power out.
But it has this extra bit whose purpose I cannot figure out.

Ideas?
recharger.jpg

Attachments

• recharger.jpg
    recharger.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
My guess would be that you can use a USB connection from your computer to charge your phone instead of the regular charger. The other possibility is that you could charge a second phone.

Borg said:
My guess would be that you can use a USB connection from your computer to charge your phone instead of the regular charger.
How? There's one power in and one power out.

Borg said:
The other possibility is that you could charge a second phone.
How?
The slot in which it fits will not take a miniUSB connector. It's too small.

jedishrfu said:
Maybe it was used to power itself for testing?
With a factory power connector? Could be, yeah.

Last edited:
OK, with a more careful look in better light, I can see way down into the slot that is exposed when I take the slug out.

There are at least two copper terminals inside the hole that are in a position where a long thin connector could make contact. So, it must be a factory reset/configuration port way down there.

My y post was meant to be humorous but it is curious that the rubbery connector can plug into one end and that maybe there was a second adapter which they didn't give you but instead gave you this dummy plug.

Couldn't tell the size from the picture other than it looked like a USB shape.

jedishrfu said:
My y post was meant to be humorous but it is curious that the rubbery connector can plug into one end and that maybe there was a second adapter which they didn't give you but instead gave you this dummy plug.
I see. I hadnt thought that there could be accessories I don't know about.

Borg said:
Couldn't tell the size from the picture other than it looked like a USB shape.
Oh I see, you mean could you plug a male mini-USB into that slot? No. It is both too narrow and too deep. (Hard to tell that the slot is almost a cm deep. It is as deep as the plastic slug is long.)

Also the plastic side of the dummy plug looks like a connector from my old dumb cell phone.

Here's a photot I found of common plugs

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-in-1-Multifunction-USB-charging-cable-splitter-adapter-cell-phone-universal-charger-adapter-plug-charging/1121355240.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A very close look reveals two wire pins that are certainly mounted directly to the circuit board.
I may not know whether they're for configuration or for power, but I'm satisfied that I understand the purpose of the plastic fiddely bit.
It is simply a lid for this port.

slot.jpg

jedishrfu said:
Maybe it was used to power itself for testing?
One of the first things I tried to do was see if the power out would reach the power in. :wink:
It does not.

FAQ: What is the purpose of this extra bit on my pocket charger?

1. What is a fiddely bit?

A fiddely bit is a term used to describe a small, intricate or delicate component or part of a larger object or system.

2. What is the purpose of a fiddely bit?

The purpose of a fiddely bit can vary depending on the object or system it is a part of. Generally, fiddely bits are designed to perform specific functions that contribute to the overall functioning of the object or system.

3. Are fiddely bits important?

Yes, fiddely bits can be crucial to the proper functioning of an object or system. They are often designed to perform specific tasks or functions that cannot be achieved by larger or simpler components.

4. How do fiddely bits differ from other parts?

Fiddely bits are typically smaller, more intricate, and more delicate than other parts. They may also serve a more specialized function compared to other components that have a broader range of uses.

5. Can fiddely bits be replaced?

In most cases, fiddely bits can be replaced if they become damaged or worn out. However, their replacement may require specialized tools or techniques, and it is important to ensure that the replacement is compatible with the rest of the object or system.