What is the Quiescent Operating Point for FET's?

• Thread starter Physicslearner500039
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary: You can also use a logic probe to see if the switching is happening at the desired rate. If not, then you can adjust the timing and/or capacitance values of the circuit.
Physicslearner500039
Hi All,

I was learning a lot of how to calculate the Quiescent operating point for FET's. But suddenly I got this doubt that if i am operating any transistor (BJT, FET) as a switch then I need not calculate the Q - point. Am I correct in this? Only when some AC signal is applied to avoid distortion I need to calculate the Q point?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Satya

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculate dc sweep if switching is not very fast.

satya77 said:
Hi All,

I was learning a lot of how to calculate the Quiescent operating point for FET's. But suddenly I got this doubt that if i am operating any transistor (BJT, FET) as a switch then I need not calculate the Q - point. Am I correct in this? Only when some AC signal is applied to avoid distortion I need to calculate the Q point?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Satya

Yes, you are right. The FET or BJT used as a switch would normally be biased OFF so the device can be turned ON by the pulses that drive the switch.

If you used the device as a linear amplfier, you arrange the biasing to avoid distortion in the output, but this is not done when the device is used as a switch.

Kholdstare said:
Calculate dc sweep if switching is not very fast.

I am sorry I did not understand what you said, for me when browsed for dc sweep is the calculation of currents and voltages, am i correct in this? how to know if the switching is fast or not ? Could you please explain me?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Satya

If you design the switch you don't need to calculate any Q point.
When BJT work as a switch this means that hi work on the saturation region.
So all you need to do is to ensure that BJT is in saturation region.
And simply if we ensure that
Ic = β * Ib > Vcc/Rc the the BJT is in saturation region.
So for a given Rc we need Rb smaller then

Rb ≤ (Vin - Vbe)/(Vcc - Vce(sat)) *βmin/K * Rc

Where
K is a overdrive factor, typical from 2 to 5.

Or even simpler rules
Ensure that
Ic/Ib = 50...10

satya77 said:
I am sorry I did not understand what you said, for me when browsed for dc sweep is the calculation of currents and voltages, am i correct in this? how to know if the switching is fast or not ? Could you please explain me?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Satya

Do you have any idea of dc sweep of CMOS inverters? You BJT/FET switching circuit can be simulated like that. FYI, dc sweep is varying the dc value of input voltage and looking at the voltage and currents in the circuit.

There are capacitance values provided in the datasheet of the component. From there you can have an idea of range of operating frequency.

Related to What is the Quiescent Operating Point for FET's?

1. What is a quiescent operating point?

A quiescent operating point (Q-point) is the steady-state operating point of a circuit or system at which no input signal is applied. It is the point at which the output of the circuit or system is stable and does not fluctuate.

2. Why is the quiescent operating point important in circuit design?

The quiescent operating point is important in circuit design because it determines the biasing conditions of the circuit. It ensures that the circuit operates within its desired range and does not experience any unwanted distortions or instabilities.

3. How is the quiescent operating point calculated?

The quiescent operating point is calculated by analyzing the circuit using the principles of DC analysis. This involves finding the DC voltage and current values at each node of the circuit, which can be used to determine the Q-point.

4. What factors can affect the quiescent operating point?

The quiescent operating point can be affected by changes in temperature, voltage supply, and component tolerances. It can also be affected by external factors such as noise and interference.

5. How can the quiescent operating point be adjusted?

The quiescent operating point can be adjusted by using circuit design techniques such as biasing and feedback. These techniques involve manipulating the circuit components to achieve the desired Q-point. Additionally, external components such as voltage regulators can also be used to adjust the Q-point.

Back