What is the radius of convergence for this power series?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the radius of convergence of a power series and using the ratio test to simplify the expression. The conversation ends with the question of what the limit is as n approaches infinity.
braindead101
I am looking for radius of convergence of this power series:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex]a[tex]_{n}[/tex]x[tex]^{n}[/tex], where a[tex]_{n}[/tex] is given below.
a[tex]_{n}[/tex] = (n!)^2/(2n)!

I am looking for the lim sup of |a_n| and i am having trouble simplifying it. I know the radius of convergence is suppose to be 4, so the lim sup should equal 1/4.

here is my work (leaving lim sup as n-> inf out as i don't want to write it every line)
[(n!)^2/(2n)!]^(1/n)
I expanded out the bottom factorial:
[(n!)(n!) / (2n)(2n-1)(2n-2)(2n-3)(2n-4)! ] ^ (1/n)
and found that you can take out a 2 from the bottom even terms (now i don't know how to express the odd terms as a factorial):
[(n!)(n)(n-1)(n-2)! / (2)(n)(n-1)(n-2)!(2n-1)(2n-3)(2n-5)...! ] ^ (1/n)
and i canceled out the n! in top and bottom:
[ (n!) / 2 (2n-1)(2n-3)(2n-5)(2n-7)..! ] ^ (1/n)
now i am stuck..

any help would be highly appreciated. haven't really dealt with factorials in awhile.

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you have written that makes it very difficult to read. I presume you are using the ratio test to find the radius of convergence.

[tex]a_{n+1}|x^{n+1}|= \frac{((n+1)!)^2}{(2(n+1))!}|x^{n+1}|[/tex]
and you want to divide that by
[tex]a_n|x^n|= \frac{(n!)^2}{(2n)!}|x^n|[/tex]
Okay, just be careful to combine the corresponding parts into fractions:
[tex]\left(\frac{(n+1)!}{n!}\right)^2\frac{(2n)!}{(2n+2)!}|x|[/tex]
Now, you certainly should know that (n+1)!/n! = n+1 and it is not to difficult to see that (2n+2)!= (2n+2)(2n+1)(2n)! so that (2n)!/(2n+2)!= 1/((2n+2)(2n+1)). What you have reduces to
[tex]\frac{(n+1)^2}{(2n+2)(2n+1)}|x|[/tex]
and since 2n+2= n+1 we can cancel n+1 in numerator and denominator to get
[tex]\frac{n+1}{2(2n+1)}|x|[/tex]
Now, what is the limit of that as n goes to infinity?

Related to What is the radius of convergence for this power series?

What is the definition of Radius of Convergence?

The Radius of Convergence refers to the distance from the center of a power series to the nearest point where the series converges. It is a measure of how far away from the center a series can be evaluated.

How is the Radius of Convergence calculated?

The Radius of Convergence is calculated using the Ratio Test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges and the Radius of Convergence is the limit. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges, and if the limit is equal to 1, further tests must be done to determine the convergence of the series.

Why is the Radius of Convergence important?

The Radius of Convergence is important because it tells us the domain of convergence for a power series. It also allows us to determine the interval of convergence, which is the range of values for which the series will converge. This information is crucial in the analysis and application of power series in various mathematical and scientific fields.

What factors can affect the Radius of Convergence?

The Radius of Convergence can be affected by the coefficients in the power series, as well as the function being represented by the series. In general, simpler functions tend to have larger Radii of Convergence, while more complex functions may have smaller Radii of Convergence.

How can the Radius of Convergence be used in real-world applications?

The Radius of Convergence can be used in various real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to approximate and model complicated functions. It can also be used in numerical analysis to determine the accuracy and convergence of numerical methods for solving equations and systems of equations.