What is the Radius of Curvature at Point B on the Road?

In summary, the car speeds up uniformly from 50km/hr at A to 100km/hr at B in 10 seconds. The radius of curvature of the bump at A is 40m, and if the magnitude of the total acceleration of the car's mass center is the same at B as at A, the radius of curvature of the dip in the road at B must be 40m as well.
LeFerret

Homework Statement

The speed of a car increases uniformly with time from 50km/hr at A to 100km/hr at B during 10 seconds.

The radius of curvature of the bump at A is 40m.

if the magnitude of the total acceleration of the car’s mass center is the same at B as at A, compute the radius of curvature of the dip in the road at B. The mass center of the car is 0.6m from the road.

Homework Equations

an=VB2

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I solve this problem, I want to get some conceptual questions out of the way.
It says the magnitude of acceleration is constant, does this mean that the normal and tangential components of acceleration are constant from A to B?
If so can I just compute an=VA2/ρ at A and use that for an at B?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Total acceleration is not indicated to be constant. All that is said about total acceleration is that its magnitude is the same at A and B.

Likes 1 person
voko said:
Total acceleration is not indicated to be constant. All that is said about total acceleration is that its magnitude is the same at A and B.

but velocity increases uniformly, wouldn't that imply that the tangential acceleration is constant?
and if tangential acceleration is constant, and the magnitude of acceleration at A and B are the same, then that must mean the normal acceleration at A and B are equal?

Velocity is a vector, it cannot increase. The speed does increase uniformly, and that makes the rest of your reasoning correct.

Likes 1 person
voko said:
Velocity is a vector, it cannot increase. The speed does increase uniformly, and that makes the rest of your reasoning correct.

Ah I see, so when computing normal acceleration at A, ρ is given to be 40meters from the curve, however since the center of mass of the car is .6meters from the surface, I would use VA2/40.6 correct?

Yes, that looks correct to me.

voko said:
Yes, that looks correct to me.

Thank you for the help!

Related to What is the Radius of Curvature at Point B on the Road?

1. What is the definition of radius of curvature?

The radius of curvature is a measure of how sharply a curve or surface bends at a specific point. It is defined as the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve or surface at that point.

2. How is the radius of curvature calculated?

The radius of curvature can be calculated using the formula: R = (1 + (dy/dx)^2)^(3/2) / |d^2y/dx^2|, where dy/dx is the first derivative of the curve at the point of interest and d^2y/dx^2 is the second derivative.

3. What is the significance of radius of curvature in physics and engineering?

The radius of curvature is a crucial parameter in determining the curvature of a path or surface, which is important in many fields of science and engineering. It is used in studying the motion of objects in circular motion, analyzing the shape of lenses and mirrors in optics, and designing curved structures in architecture and civil engineering.

4. How is the radius of curvature related to the curvature of a curve or surface?

The radius of curvature is inversely proportional to the curvature of a curve or surface. This means that smaller values of radius of curvature indicate a sharper bend, while larger values indicate a more gradual bend.

5. Can the radius of curvature be negative?

Yes, the radius of curvature can be negative. This occurs when the curve or surface bends in the opposite direction, known as concave rather than convex. In this case, the radius of curvature is calculated using the same formula but with a negative value for d^2y/dx^2.