What is the radius of the circle inscribing a hexagon?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary: Thanks for the clarification!Do you think that Wolfram Alpha is making people lazy?I may be incorrect on this, so please correct me if I am. I have been trying to do a lot of math problems this summer to become better, and I have recently learned since coming back here that I am definitely not as good as I thought I was!:DNo, I don't think Wolfram Alpha is making people lazy. I think it's just that Wolfram Alpha is a really helpful tool that can be used for a lot of different things.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
A hexagon with consecutive sides of lengths 2, 2, 7, 7, 11 and 11 is inscribed in a circle.

View attachment 946

Find the radius of the circle.

Attachments

• Find radius.JPG
    Find radius.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 76
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I may be incorrect on this, so please correct me if I am. I have been trying to do a lot of math problems this summer to become better, and I have recently learned since coming back here that I am definitely not as good as I thought I was!:D

Anyway, so I see that two sides of the hexagon are each 11 in length, so if I draw a line from where each of these points connect to the circle, then I have a triangle. And since each side is length 11 each, I can assume it's a 45-45-90 triangle. So then I can use pythagorean's theorem to find the hypotenuse of that triangle, then divide it by two to find the radius:

\(\displaystyle a^2 + b^2 = c^2\)

\(\displaystyle 11^2 + 11^2 = c^2\)

\(\displaystyle 121+ 121= c^2\)

\(\displaystyle 242= c^2\)

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{242}\) =c

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{242}}{2} =\) radius

\(\displaystyle 7.778174593052\) =approximate decimal notation solution of radius

Am I on the right track?

Farmtalk said:
...I can assume it's a 45-45-90 triangle...

Can you? ;)

M R said:
Can you? ;)

Good point, I probably could NOT. Thanks for that! :cool: I'm still pretty new to doing this. I've got a lot of polishing to do!(Blush)

M R said:
solve asin(1/r)+asin(7/(2r))+asin(11/(2r))=pi/2 - Wolfram|Alpha

Does that count as a solution? (Tongueout)

Is Wolframalpha making us lazy?

Hi M R,:)

If you don't mind me asking, could you please tell me more about how exactly did you come up with that brilliant formula?:eek: It might be obvious to you but it isn't to me...:mad:

Thanks!

And I'm really sorry, your solution isn't complete but the answer is correct though! Good job, Wolfram|Alpha!:cool:

Applying the law of cosines You arrive to the equation...

$$\cos ^{-1} (1-\frac{2}{r^{2}}) + \cos^{-1} (1-\frac{49}{2\ r^{2}}) + \cos^{-1} (1-\frac{121}{2\ r^{2}}) = \pi\ (1)$$

... and its solution is $r=7$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I began the same way chisigma did, and I noticed this allows the construction:

View attachment 947

The law of cosines gives us:

\(\displaystyle L^2=53-28\cos(A)=4r^2+121-44r\cos(B)\)

Because $A$ and $B$ are opposite angles in a cyclic quadrilateral, we know they are supplementary, and using the identity \(\displaystyle \cos(\pi-x)=-\cos(x)\), we may write:

\(\displaystyle L^2=53-28\cos(A)=4r^2+121+44r\cos(A)\)

This gives us:

\(\displaystyle \cos(A)=\frac{53-L^2}{28}=\frac{L^2-4r^2-121}{44r}\)

Now, by Pythagoras, we have:

\(\displaystyle L^2=4r^2-121\)

Hence, we may state (after some simplification):

\(\displaystyle \frac{2r^2-87}{7}=\frac{11}{r}\)

Cross-multiplying, we get the cubic:

\(\displaystyle 2r^3-87r-77=0\)

This may be factored as:

\(\displaystyle (r-7)\left(2r^2+14r+11 \right)=0\)

Discarding the negative roots, we are left with:

\(\displaystyle r=7\)

Attachments

• anemoneradius.jpg
    anemoneradius.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 59
So what exactly lead you to use the law of cosines for this problem?

Farmtalk said:
So what exactly lead you to use the law of cosines for this problem?

The law of cosines gives us a convenient way to relate the three sides and one of the interior angles of any triangle.

Also, knowing that $A$ and $B$ are supplementary, and the fact that we also have a right triangle in there helps too. :D

Related to What is the radius of the circle inscribing a hexagon?

1. What is the formula for finding the radius of a circle?

The formula for finding the radius of a circle is r = C/2π, where r is the radius, C is the circumference, and π is approximately 3.14.

2. How do you find the radius of a circle if you know the diameter?

If you know the diameter of a circle, you can find the radius by dividing the diameter by 2. This is because the diameter is equal to twice the radius (d = 2r).

3. Can you find the radius of a circle if you only know the area?

Yes, you can find the radius of a circle if you only know the area. The formula for finding the radius from the area is r = √(A/π), where r is the radius and A is the area.

4. How do you find the radius of a circle if you know the coordinates of its center and a point on the circumference?

If you know the coordinates of the center (h,k) and a point on the circumference (x,y), you can find the radius by using the distance formula: r = √[(x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2].

5. Is the radius of a circle always half of the diameter?

Yes, the radius of a circle is always half of the diameter. This is because the diameter is the longest chord of a circle, and it always passes through the center. Therefore, the diameter is equal to twice the radius.