What is the radius of the equipotential surfaces for a charged cylinder?

In summary, the radius of equipotential surfaces having potentials of 10.0 V, 20.0 V, and 30.0 V is 2.90 cm.
carnot cycle

Homework Statement

A very long cylinder of radius 2.00 cm has a uniform charge density of 1.50 nC/m. Taking the reference level for the zero of potential to be the surface of the cylinder, find the radius of equipotential surfaces having potentials of 10.0 V, 20.0 V, and 30.0 V.

Homework Equations

Va - vb = ∫E * dr
Lower limit: a
Upper limit: b
λ = 1.50 nC/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved, using Gauss' Law, the electric field of this cylinder.

E = λ/(2[itex]\pi[/itex]ε0)(r)

Now to integrate, I removed the λ/(2[itex]\pi[/itex]ε0) factor out of the integrand and did this:

Vr - V.02 cm = λ/(2[itex]\pi[/itex]ε0) * ∫(1/r)dr

Lower limit for this integral: r (the distance from the axis of the cylinder)
Upper limit for this integral: 2.00 cm (the radius of the cylinder)

So Vr - V.02 cm = Vr =(λ/(2[itex]\pi[/itex]ε0) * ln(.02/r)

Since the first part of the problem states that the potential difference is 10 V, I plugged 10 V in for Vr and just solved for r, since that should be the equipotential surface radius. I retrieved an answer of 1.38 cm, but this is incorrect. I can't seem to find my error. Thanks in advance.

The correct answer is 2.90 cm.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You missed a negative sign somewhere!

Where am I missing a negative sign?

The charge is positive, and you're looking for a location where the potential is higher than at the surface of the cylinder? Doesn't sound right to me. Check the question.

V= -∫E.dr. I thought you have missed the negative sign in this. But you have interchanged the integration limits so it is the same thing.

Didn't notice the question carefully, i totally agree with harupex, there is no r where potential would be greater than that of cyllinder. As the potential keeps on deceasing with r. Maybe the negative sign is missed in the question itself. Check it for -10, -20.

Yeah when I plug in -10V for Vr I do get the correct answer, 2.90 cm. However, how can there be a negative potential from a positively charged cylinder? Or does the -10V just mean that the potential at 2.90 cm is 10 volts lower than at the surface of the cylinder?

Thanks for the help :)

carnot cycle said:
does the -10V just mean that the potential at 2.90 cm is 10 volts lower than at the surface of the cylinder?
Yes.

carnot cycle said:
Yeah when I plug in -10V for Vr I do get the correct answer, 2.90 cm. However, how can there be a negative potential from a positively charged cylinder?

Finding potential is all about reference. If you take potential at infinity as the reference potential(zero potential) than the potential due to positive charged cyllinder would be positive at for every r as it keeps on on increasing as we r decreases(or as we move towards cyllinder). In the question reference potential is the potential of the cyllinder so the potential around it would be negative.

carnot cycle said:
Or does the -10V just mean that the potential at 2.90 cm is 10 volts lower than at the surface of the cylinder?

You have calculated for the expression V(r) - V(0.02), which is self explaining!

Related to What is the radius of the equipotential surfaces for a charged cylinder?

1. What is an electric potential problem?

An electric potential problem is a type of problem in physics that involves finding the potential energy or electric potential at a specific point in an electric field. It is used to determine the amount of work needed to move a charge from one point to another in an electric field.

2. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charge possesses due to its position in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a property of the electric field, while electric potential energy is a property of the charge in the electric field.

3. How do you calculate electric potential in a uniform electric field?

In a uniform electric field, the electric potential can be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the magnitude of the charge. The formula is V = U/q, where V is the electric potential, U is the electric potential energy, and q is the charge.

4. How does distance affect electric potential?

In an electric field, the electric potential decreases as the distance from the source of the field increases. This is because the electric potential energy decreases as the distance increases, and electric potential is directly proportional to electric potential energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric potential problems?

Electric potential problems have many real-life applications, including determining the voltage of a battery, calculating the energy usage in an electric circuit, and understanding the behavior of electric charges in conductors and insulators. They are also used in the design and operation of electronic devices such as computers and smartphones.