What is the Range of Convergence for Newton's Method on tanh(x)?

Therefore, any values outside of this range will not converge using Newton's method. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values for which Newton's method converges for the function tanh(x). The algorithm is set up and simplified, and the derivative is taken to determine the interval of convergence. However, it is found that the actual range of convergence is different than the one calculated.
math199711
I was hoping someone could help me out with this problem. I need to find the values, that Newton's method converges for tanh(x).

So far I set up the algorithm:

x[itex]\tiny_{k+1}[/itex] = x[itex]_{k}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{tanhx}{sech^{2}x}[/itex]

I simplified it to:

x[itex]\tiny_{k+1}[/itex] = x[itex]_{k}[/itex] - ([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]sinh(2x))

And then I took the derivative to see when the absolute value of the derivative was less than one.

|1 - cosh(2x)| < 1

I did all of this and came up with the interval of convergence as being:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ln(2[itex]\pm \sqrt{3}[/itex])

These numbers are approximately .-658 and .658 respectively.

However when I test out 1, it converges using Newton's method, yet it falls out of the range that I determined.

Any help on the problem would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The range of convergence for Newton's method for tanh(x) is actually [-0.881, 0.881]. This is because the derivative of tanh(x) is sech^2(x) which has an absolute value of 1 at x= +/-0.881.

Related to What is the Range of Convergence for Newton's Method on tanh(x)?

1. What is Newton's Method for tahn(x)?

Newton's Method is an iterative algorithm used to find the roots of a given function. For tahn(x), it is used to find the value of x that makes the hyperbolic tangent function equal to a given value.

2. How does Newton's Method for tahn(x) work?

The method involves repeatedly calculating the derivative of the hyperbolic tangent function at a given point, and using this to approximate the root of the function. The process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using Newton's Method for tahn(x)?

One advantage is that it is a fast and efficient method for finding roots of a function. It also has good convergence properties, meaning it can find accurate solutions even for complex functions.

4. What are the limitations of Newton's Method for tahn(x)?

One limitation is that it is sensitive to the initial guess for the root. If the initial guess is too far from the actual root, the method may fail to converge. Additionally, it may not work for functions that have multiple roots or are not continuous.

5. How is Newton's Method for tahn(x) used in real-world applications?

Newton's Method for tahn(x) is commonly used in optimization problems, such as in machine learning and artificial intelligence. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and economics to solve complex equations and find accurate solutions.