What is the range of f given by F(x)= 1/(x-1)(x+1), x>1?

• Thread starter matt_crouch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the range of the function F(x) = 1/((x-1)(x+1)), where x > 1, is 0 < y < 1/3. The function is asymptotic, meaning that as x increases, y approaches but never reaches 0. The largest value that f(x) can be is 1/3, and the function is continuous between x = 1 and x = ∞. It can also be shown that f(x) is always increasing within this range.
matt_crouch

Homework Statement

Find the range of f

Homework Equations

F(x)= 1/(x-1)(x+1) , x>1

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by substituting x=2 and x=3 this gives me 1/3 and 1/8 respectively so i get that as x increases y decreases to infinity but how do i represent that as

A<y<B

its just the notation and stuff i am struggling on.
cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi matt_crouch! :smile:
matt_crouch said:
Find the range of f

F(x)= 1/(x-1)(x+1) , x>1

Be systematic …

wirte it out as an equation in x …

you should get a quadratic equation …

for what values of f does it have real solutions?

matt_crouch said:

Homework Statement

Find the range of f

Homework Equations

F(x)= 1/(x-1)(x+1) , x>1
Do you mean this as [tex]F(x) = \frac{1}{(x -1)(x + 1)}[/tex]? If so, you should have put another pair of parentheses around the two factors involving x, like so: F(x) = 1/((x - 1)(x + 1)).
matt_crouch said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by substituting x=2 and x=3 this gives me 1/3 and 1/8 respectively so i get that as x increases y decreases to infinity but how do i represent that as

A<y<B
How can y decrease to infinity?

You're given that x > 1, so both factors in the denominator (I'm assuming that's what you meant) are going to be positive. The numerator is 1, which is positive. The closer x gets to 1, the larger F(x) will be. As x gets large, F(x) will get closer to zero, but will remain positive.
matt_crouch said:
cheers

Mark44 said:
How can y decrease to infinity?

Because its a 1/x relationship isn't the graph asymptotic?
Isnt the range a part of the graph where a horizontal line cuts the graph at two points?

matt_crouch said:
Isnt the range a part of the graph where a horizontal line cuts the graph at two points?

No, the range is those parts of the vertical axis where a horizontal line cuts the graph at at least one point.

Anyway, what quadratic equation did you get? :smile:

matt_crouch said:
Because its a 1/x relationship isn't the graph asymptotic?
Yes, the graph of 1/x is asymptotic by definition. However, when a horizontal line (that is not part of the original graph) intersects the graph at more than one point, then the function in not one-to-one.

Im not quite sure how you can write it out as an quatratic. should i find the inverse of f(x)

matt_crouch said:
Im not quite sure how you can write it out as an quatratic. should i find the inverse of f(x)

x2 - 1 - 1/f = 0 … for what values of f are there solutions?

ahh i think i got it.. is the range

0<y<1/3

?

matt_crouch said:
ahh i think i got it.. is the range

0<y<1/3

?

how did you get that? :confused:

hmm … I've just looked again at your original post …
matt_crouch said:

A<y<B

cheers

which didn't seem to me to make any sense originally, but now it's dawned on me :redface: that you probably meant "zero" not "infinity" …

in which case the answer to your original question "how do i represent that as A<y<B" is that if you know that y decreases to zero (but never quite makes it), then you write that simply as y > 0. :smile:

ye i was getting confused because as the graph was asymtopic i was thinking that it would go to infinity but the domain would go on for infinity whereas the range which is the "output" would never quite reach it.

cheers though :D

matt_crouch said:
The "easy" way to find the range is to find the domain of a functions inverse. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
in which case the answer to your original question "how do i represent that as A<y<B" is that if you know that y decreases to zero (but never quite makes it), then you write that simply as y > 0. :smile:

As x>1 then isn't the largest value that f(x) can be a 1/3 ? so isn't the range 0 < y < 1/3 ?

matt_crouch said:
As x>1 then isn't the largest value that f(x) can be a 1/3 ? so isn't the range 0 < y < 1/3 ?

No … as you said …
matt_crouch said:
F(x)= 1/(x-1)(x+1) , x>1

I started by substituting x=2 and x=3 this gives me 1/3 and 1/8
… f(2) = 1/3. :wink:

f(1+) = … ? :smile:

1/0 which is undefined?

matt_crouch said:
1/0 which is undefined?

Sort-of …

f(1+) = ∞ (and f(1-) = -∞) …

but we're not really supposed to regard ∞ as a number :wink:

so instead of 0 < f < ∞, we just say 0 < f. :smile:

ahhhh is seeeee aaawesome..
massive help cheers Tiny Tim.

The substance (I don't know what jawbreaking terminology you are required to use but once you get the substance you can adapt it to that :biggrin:)

Either do or don't write it as 1/(x2-1) according to what seems to you easiest.
You were asked for x>1.
So where do you start? At x=1 What is f(1)?
Where do you end? At x=∞. What is f(∞)?
f is continuous between these two values of x. So f has to include all values between f(1) and f(∞)?

For x between those 1 and ∞, for f to go out of the range between f(1) and
f(∞) f would have to have an extremum in the range of x. First does it look like it?

Then you could formally demonstrate it hasn't.

Actually I think the simplest argument is f would have to be increasing with x somewhere in the range. You don't need calculus to show that it can't.

Last edited:
Ye cheers epenguin and tiny tim u have really helped me out =]

Related to What is the range of f given by F(x)= 1/(x-1)(x+1), x>1?

What does "Finding Range of f: A<y<B" mean?

This phrase refers to the process of determining the set of all possible output values (or range) of a function f when the input values are within the given interval A and B.

Why is it important to find the range of a function?

Knowing the range of a function is essential in understanding its behavior and properties. It can help determine the maximum and minimum values of the function, its symmetry, and its behavior as the input values approach certain values.

How do you find the range of a function?

To find the range of a function, you can either graph the function and determine the y-values that correspond to the given interval, or you can algebraically manipulate the function to solve for y and determine the range.

What are some common misconceptions about finding the range of a function?

One common misconception is that the range is simply the set of all possible output values of a function. However, it is important to consider the given interval for the input values when determining the range. Another misconception is that the range must always be continuous, when in fact it can be discrete or a combination of both.

Can the range of a function change?

Yes, the range of a function can change depending on the given interval for the input values. It can also change if the function is modified or if the domain of the function is restricted.