What is the ratio of PA to PB on a semicircle with points A and B on the x-axis?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, the given graph of a semicircle has points A and B lying on the x-axis with coordinates a and 1/a, respectively. Point P is an arbitrary point on the graph in quadrant 2, connecting to points A and B. Using the distance formula, the ratio of PA to PB is found to be equal to a.
mathdad
Semicircle y = sqrt{1 - x^2} is given as a graph on the xy-plane. Points A and B lie on the line y = 0. The x-coordinates of the points A and B are a and 1/a, respectively. Point P is an arbitrary point on the graph of y in quadrant 2 connecting to points A and B. Show that PA/PB = a.

Note: Assume that 0 < a < 1

Obviously, I need to find the distance from P to A and the distance from P to B.

Point A = (a, 0)

Point B = (1/a, 0)

I do not know the coordinates of point P.

I am stuck here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
the coordinates of point P are $(x, \sqrt{1-x^2})$ ...

Thank you for providing the coordinates of point P.

Let d(PA) = distance from P to A.

After plugging into the distance formula for points on the xy-plane, and simplifying the radicand, I found d(PA) to be sqrt{a^2 - 2ax + 1 }.

Let d(PB) = distance from P to B.

Applying the same steps as before, I found d(PB) to be
(sqrt{a^2 -2ax + 1})/a.

PA/PB = a

[sqrt{a^2 - 2ax + 1}]/[sqrt{a^2 - 2ax + 1 }]/a = a

sqrt{a^2 - 2ax + 1 } • a/sqrt{a^2 - 2ax + 1 } = a

a = a

Done!

FAQ: What is the ratio of PA to PB on a semicircle with points A and B on the x-axis?

1. What is the ratio of PA to PB on a semicircle?

The ratio of PA to PB on a semicircle is always 1:1, regardless of the positions of points A and B on the x-axis. This is because the radius of a semicircle is constant and forms a right angle with the tangent at any point on the circle. Therefore, PA and PB are always equal in length.

2. How is the ratio affected if point A or B is moved off the x-axis?

If point A or B is moved off the x-axis, the ratio of PA to PB will still be 1:1. This is because the radius of a semicircle is always perpendicular to the tangent at any point on the circle, and this perpendicular distance remains constant regardless of the position of the points on the x-axis.

3. Can the ratio of PA to PB ever be greater than 1?

No, the ratio of PA to PB on a semicircle can never be greater than 1. As mentioned before, the radius of a semicircle is always perpendicular to the tangent at any point on the circle, and this perpendicular distance remains constant. Therefore, the length of PA and PB will always be equal, resulting in a ratio of 1:1.

4. How does the ratio change if the semicircle is replaced with a full circle?

If the semicircle is replaced with a full circle, the ratio of PA to PB will still be 1:1. This is because, in a full circle, the radius is equal to the diameter, and the diameter is always twice the length of the radius. Therefore, the length of PA and PB will still be equal, resulting in a ratio of 1:1.

5. Is the ratio of PA to PB affected by the size of the semicircle?

No, the ratio of PA to PB is not affected by the size of the semicircle. As long as points A and B are on the x-axis, the ratio will always be 1:1. This is because the radius of a semicircle is constant, and the perpendicular distance from the radius to the tangent at any point on the circle remains the same, regardless of the size of the semicircle.