What is the reactance of the capacitor at 1.00 kHz?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's struggles with physics and their search for a good physics tutor. They also ask for help with understanding a circuit problem involving a generator and a capacitor, specifically calculating the reactance and capacitance at different frequencies. The person also shares their approach to solving the problem and asks for clarification on the correct equations to use.
hotstuff
i seemto be frequenting this board more than i intended to but i physics is not my strong point at all so if i seem bothersome apologize about that and i also try to put what i have done sor for in the problem so it don;t seem like i am not trying so here goes and besides does anyone know where i can get a darn good physics tutor, one i can talk to over the phone?

A circuit consists of a 1.00 kHz generator and a capacitor. When the rms voltage of the generator is 0.550 V the rms current in the circuit is 0.460 mA.
(a) What is the reactance of the capacitor at 1.00 kHz?
k
(b) What is the capacitance of the capacitor?
µF
(c) If the rms voltage is maintained at 0.550 V, what is the rms current at 2.00 kHz?
mA
If the rms voltage is maintained at 0.550 V, what is the rms current at 10.0 kHz?
mA

1. to get the reactance first i derived c from eqn Irms= Vrms * wc
and then sub for Xc= 1/above ans which was 5.25)*2(3.140*1000hz
that should have given me the ans but the book says different

for the b capacitance, i used Xc= 1/wc

for c it should be irms= wCVIrms - right

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember much about alternating current but, isn't impedance:
[tex]Z = \sqrt{R^2 + X^2} = \frac{V}{I}[/tex], where X is the total reactance ([tex]X_C + X_L[/tex]).
As there's only a capacitor (and a generator) in the circuit the above equation solves into [tex]Z = \frac{V}{I} = X_C[/tex]

You don't need [tex]X_C = \frac{1}{\omega C} = \frac{1}{2 \pi f C}[/tex] for a)

for your post!

To find the reactance of the capacitor at 1.00 kHz, you can use the formula Xc = 1/(wC), where w is the angular frequency (2πf) and C is the capacitance. In this case, w = 2π(1.00 kHz) = 6.28 kHz. Using the given values of Irms = 0.460 mA and Vrms = 0.550 V, you can rearrange the formula to solve for C: C = 1/(wXc) = 1/(6.28 kHz * 5.25) = 0.0303 µF.

For part (c), you are correct that the formula Irms = wCVrms can be used. In this case, w = 2π(2.00 kHz) = 12.56 kHz. Plugging in the values of C = 0.0303 µF and Vrms = 0.550 V, we get Irms = (12.56 kHz * 0.0303 µF * 0.550 V) = 0.208 mA.

Similarly, for 10.0 kHz, w = 2π(10.0 kHz) = 62.8 kHz. Plugging in the same values of C and Vrms, we get Irms = (62.8 kHz * 0.0303 µF * 0.550 V) = 1.04 mA.

As for finding a good physics tutor, I would recommend reaching out to your school's tutoring center or academic support services. They may have resources available for phone or online tutoring. You can also try searching for online tutoring services or reaching out to physics departments at nearby universities to see if they offer tutoring services. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to What is the reactance of the capacitor at 1.00 kHz?

1. What is reactance?

Reactance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC) through a circuit component. It is measured in ohms and is caused by the capacitance or inductance of the component.

2. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. Capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to store and release electrical energy.

3. How is reactance of a capacitor calculated?

The reactance of a capacitor at a specific frequency can be calculated using the formula XC = 1/(2πfC), where XC is the reactance in ohms, f is the frequency in hertz, and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. Why is the reactance of a capacitor important?

The reactance of a capacitor affects the flow of AC current through a circuit. It works in opposition to the reactance of other components, such as inductors, to regulate the flow of current and create a stable electrical signal.

5. What is the significance of 1.00 kHz in relation to the reactance of a capacitor?

1.00 kHz (kilohertz) is a specific frequency used to measure the reactance of a capacitor. It is a commonly used frequency in electronic circuits and is used to calculate the capacitance needed for specific applications.