What is the reason for the specific number of quarks in baryons and fermions?

In summary, the combination of three quarks for baryons and two quarks for mesons was originally proposed to explain the classification of these particles based on their properties. This idea is supported by experimental data from high-energy collisions and studies of quark structure functions. While there have been recent indications of five-quark combinations, the current understanding is that only two- and three-quark combinations fit experimental data.
Schrodinger's Dog
You'll have to excuse my ignorance I am fairly new to physics, having only the sort of predegree level of maths knowledge and a few ideas.

How do we come to the conclusion that baryons have 3 quarks and fermions have 2? Is there a mathematical reason for this? I assume this is proven or bourne out by experimental data too? I just remember reading that these fundamental particles come in these pairings and can see why it works as regards charge and spin but I could just as easily say there are 6 quarks or 12? Or I could say there are an infinite number of quasi quarks or they don't exist or whatever?

So obviously my preposterous other theories are false, how do we maintain the ideas that there are up down down, is it something to do with the weak force? Or is there something more fundamental that leads us to this conclusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Schrodinger's Dog said:
How do we come to the conclusion that baryons have 3 quarks and fermions have 2?

You mean mesons, not fermions.

Is there a mathematical reason for this? I assume this is proven or bourne out by experimental data too?

These particular combinations were originally proposed because they can explain the way that the various baryons and mesons can be classified according to their properties. This is rather similar to the way that QM's description of the atom can explain the way that the various elements can be classified according to their properties in the periodic table.

We also have more direct evidence for quarks in that particles scatter off each other in high-energy collisions in ways that we can explain (as far as we know) only by assuming they are made up of more fundamental particles that actually perform the scattering. This is rather similar to the way that Rutherford scattered alpha particles off of atoms and used the results to deduce that an atom must have a small, massive nucleus.

To measure the behavior of individual quarks in a baryon or meson, we often use leptons (neutrinos, electrons or muons) as our scattering "probes", because they are themselves fundamental pointlike particles, as far as we know. When I was a graduate student long ago, I worked on a neutrino-scattering experiment which (among other things) studied the quark structure functions of protons and neutrons, i.e. the functions which describe the probability that each quark carries a certain amount of the proton's/neutron's momentum in a collision.

So far, only two- and three-quark combinations fit experimental data, except perhaps for recent data that seem to indicate the existence of five-quark combinations ("pentaquarks"). I don't know what the status of that data is now.

Last edited:
Sorry yes, just reading something about fermions and made a slip.

Thanks good answer, very clear.

Last edited:

Related to What is the reason for the specific number of quarks in baryons and fermions?

1. What is the specific number of quarks in baryons and fermions?

The specific number of quarks in baryons and fermions is three. Baryons, which include protons and neutrons, are composed of three quarks while fermions, which are a type of elementary particle, also consist of three quarks.

2. Why are there exactly three quarks in baryons and fermions?

The number of quarks in baryons and fermions is a consequence of the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. The strong nuclear force, which binds quarks together to form baryons, is only strong enough to hold three quarks together. Additionally, the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state, requires that there be exactly three quarks in a fermion.

3. Can there be more or less than three quarks in baryons and fermions?

No, there cannot be more or less than three quarks in baryons and fermions. Any deviation from three quarks would result in an unstable particle due to the aforementioned limitations of the strong nuclear force and the Pauli exclusion principle.

4. How do quarks combine to form baryons and fermions?

Quarks combine through a process called confinement, which occurs when the strong nuclear force between two quarks increases with distance until it is strong enough to prevent them from separating. This results in the formation of a bound state, such as a baryon or fermion, with three quarks.

5. Are there different types of quarks in baryons and fermions?

Yes, there are six different types of quarks: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. However, only the up, down, and strange quarks are found in baryons and fermions. This is because the other quarks are too heavy to be stable and quickly decay into lighter particles.