What is the recommended textbook for upper division EM at community college?

In summary, the conversation discussed a community college physics instructor recommending a textbook as a supplement to Lorrain and Corson's Fundamentals of Electromagnetic Phenomena. The person asking for help did not remember the exact authors but thought one of them was "Midwell." Another person suggested the book "Reitz, Milford, and Christy" and it was confirmed to be the one they were looking for.
jioni
My community college physics instructor thought a certain textbook would be a good supplement to Lorrain and Corson's Fundamentals of Electromagnetic Phenomena. I was looking at something at the time and didn't pay enough attention, so now I don't remember exactly any of the authors, although I think I'd recognize them if I saw them. I thought one of the three names was something like "Midwell" but that's not getting me anywhere. Anyone know what book this might have been? I realize that's not much to go on. Feel free to comment on other books.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think that's it. Thanks.

FAQ: What is the recommended textbook for upper division EM at community college?

1. What topics are typically covered in an upper division EM textbook?

An upper division EM textbook typically covers topics such as electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic waves, Maxwell's equations, and applications of electromagnetism in various fields.

2. Is prior knowledge of calculus required for understanding an upper division EM textbook?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus is necessary for comprehending the mathematical concepts and equations presented in an upper division EM textbook.

3. Can an upper division EM textbook be used as a reference for practical applications?

Yes, an upper division EM textbook can be used as a reference for practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and telecommunications. It provides a solid foundation for understanding the principles and equations behind real-world electromagnetic systems.

4. Are there any recommended prerequisites for studying an upper division EM textbook?

Prior knowledge of basic physics, specifically mechanics and electromagnetism, is recommended before studying an upper division EM textbook. Some knowledge of vector calculus is also beneficial.

5. Is an upper division EM textbook suitable for self-study?

Yes, an upper division EM textbook can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus and physics before attempting to study it on your own.