What is the relationship between bases in a Euclidean space and its subspaces?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, a Euclidean space is a geometric space where the principles of Euclidean geometry apply. Bases are sets of linearly independent vectors used to represent any other vector in the space, while subspaces are lower-dimensional versions created from the basis vectors. Understanding this relationship is important in mathematics and physics for problem-solving and analysis. This concept can also be applied to other types of spaces, but the details may vary.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
This will be my last University POTW submission here on MHB; I'm running out of ideas (after doing this for 133 weeks), and I think it's time to get someone fresh in here to do things from now on. It's been a pleasure doing this for over 2.5 years now, and I hope you guys give the person who will be taking my place the same kind of support I've received from you during my time running the University POTW.

Anyway, here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem: Let $V$ be a Euclidean space and $W$ a subspace of $V$. Show that if $\mathbf{w}_1,\ldots,\mathbf{w}_r$ is a basis for $W$ and $\mathbf{u}_1,\ldots,\mathbf{u}_s$ is a basis for $W^{\perp}$, then $\mathbf{w}_1,\ldots,\mathbf{w}_r, \mathbf{u}_1,\ldots,\mathbf{u}_s$ is a basis for $V$ and that $\dim V = \dim W + \dim W^{\perp}$.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Related to What is the relationship between bases in a Euclidean space and its subspaces?

1. What is a Euclidean space?

A Euclidean space is a mathematical concept that refers to a geometric space in which the laws of Euclidean geometry apply. It is a space that has a fixed number of dimensions and follows the principles of distance, angle, and symmetry.

2. What are bases in a Euclidean space?

In a Euclidean space, a basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any other vector in that space. These vectors serve as a starting point for describing the dimensions and directions within the space.

3. How are subspaces related to bases in a Euclidean space?

Subspaces in a Euclidean space are essentially lower-dimensional versions of the original space. They are created by taking linear combinations of the basis vectors from the original space. This means that the basis vectors of a subspace are also a subset of the basis vectors of the original space.

4. What is the significance of understanding the relationship between bases and subspaces in a Euclidean space?

Understanding the relationship between bases and subspaces in a Euclidean space is crucial in many areas of mathematics and physics. It allows us to describe and analyze different dimensions and directions within a space, and it provides a framework for solving complex problems and equations.

5. Can the relationship between bases and subspaces be applied to other types of spaces?

Yes, the concept of bases and subspaces can be applied to other types of spaces beyond Euclidean spaces. For example, it is also used in abstract vector spaces, functional spaces, and topological spaces. However, the specifics of the relationship may differ depending on the type of space and its properties.

Back