What is the relationship between current and voltage in an inductive load?

• Thread starter MarcL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load
In summary: They didn't mention what they were assuming, so we just assumed that they assumed that time=0 at the point of the current sinewave's peak.
MarcL

Homework Statement

An ideal inductor L = 88 mH is connected to a source whose peak potential difference is 65 V.

If the frequency is 90 Hz, what is the current at 5 ms?

Homework Equations

il= Il(ωt-ø) and Il = Vl / Xl

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did get the answer right, by chance. I would like to understand... Why does the definition of an inductive load specifies that its current is lagging behind the voltage of the inductor but to get the right answer, I didn't minus my angular frequency and the phase constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem seems inadequately specified.

Maybe the arrangement has a switch which applies the sinusoid when it's at some particular level, OR

maybe the question asks for the instantaneous value of the current 5ms after its peak?

What is the "correct" answer? How did you work out your answer?

Sorry if I didn't explain it well. As a start, the statement is copy pasted from my online assignment so there was no changed to it.

However, how I worked it out was by chance, I forgot to minus the phase constant ( where ø= pi/2)
because the sin function of the current from an inductor lags behind the velocity by 90 degrees, therefore it is ωt-ø to get the phase of the current from the inductor no? ( i don't know if this made sense). I mean this is what I get from my book. :/

Yes, the current lags the sinusoidal voltage by 90°. What answer did you give that was considered right?

First I used this formula:

il = Il sin (ωt-ø) which always gave me 1.306 when replacing Il by V/Xl

However, the right answer was obtained by using

il = Il sin (ωt) which confuses me to no end because then, when do I use the phase constant? I thought it was always part of the formula and the concept of the ac circuit.

MarcL said:
First I used this formula:

il = Il sin (ωt-ø) which always gave me 1.306 when replacing

Il by V/Xl
Yes, that gives the peak value of the current. Because the circuit is nothing more than pure inductance, you also can say that this current sinewave is 90° behind the voltage sinewave.

However, the right answer was obtained by using

il = Il sin (ωt) which confuses me to no end because then, when do I use the phase constant? I thought it was always part of the formula and the concept of the ac circuit.
It sounds like an assumption is being made that time=0 will be when the current sinewave passes through zero. That would make ɸ=0.

I'm still waiting to hear what answer you gave for the current at 5ms. We can then work backwards to determine what the question should have been. http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
.403576 A was the answer.

It is kinda scary to think some assumptions were made without mentioning them because my final is coming up and this is our last assignment...

But yeah, let's see where I went wrong / question went wrong. :)

Yes, they are taking the origin as the start of the current's sinewave waveform, 1.306sin(2π90t)

They are side-stepping the phase difference between voltage and current by using the current waveform as the reference. That makes things easier! :smile:

wait, how did you know that? because they skipped the waveform? how do we know that from reading the question?

MarcL said:
wait, how did you know that? because they skipped the waveform? how do we know that from reading the question?
That's what is needed to get their answer.

FAQ: What is the relationship between current and voltage in an inductive load?

1. What is an inductive load?

An inductive load is a type of electrical load that causes a phase shift between the voltage and current. It is often found in devices that utilize electromagnetic components such as motors, transformers, and solenoids.

2. How does an inductive load affect the power supply?

Inductive loads can cause power surges and voltage drops in the power supply due to the phase shift between voltage and current. This can lead to inefficiency and potential damage to the power supply if not properly managed.

3. What is power factor and how does it relate to inductive loads?

Power factor is a measure of how efficiently power is being used in a circuit. Inductive loads have a power factor of less than 1, meaning that they require more current to do the same amount of work as a resistive load. This can result in higher energy consumption and utility costs.

4. How can inductive loads be managed or reduced?

Inductive loads can be managed by using devices such as capacitors to offset the phase shift and improve the power factor. They can also be reduced by using more efficient motors and implementing power factor correction techniques.

5. What are some common examples of inductive loads?

Some common examples of inductive loads include refrigerators, washing machines, air conditioners, and fluorescent lights. These devices all contain motors or transformers that require a lot of power to start up and operate.

Back