What is the relationship between electric potential and work done?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of electric potential and an equation for it. The individual is struggling to derive the definition from the equation and has attempted to do so using the concepts of work done and voltage. Another individual suggests using an integral to understand the equation better.
ojsimon
Hi

I am sure this is very basic but i am struggling to derive or work this out, and i have looked, on the internet and textbooks and can't find this.

The electric potential at a point is defined as the work done per unit charge to move a small test charge from infinity to that point.

And an equation for it is : EP = k*(Q/R)

I want to get back to the definition from this equation, but i can't get very far:

here is what i have done: WD= work done

Q/R = (wd/v)/R
= wd/vR

But i can't go much further without it just going back to the original form... Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ojsimon! :smile:

(what's v ? :confused:)

work done = ∫ force d(distance) = ∫R kQ/r2 dr :wink:

(and d(work done)/dr = force)

sorry v was meant to be voltage and came from the equation v=wd/q

Thanks although i don't quite understand your integral?

Thanks

ojsimon said:
Thanks although i don't quite understand your integral?

The integral is the force integrated from infinity to the distance R, since the PE is the work done to get the charge from infinity to R.

for your question. The relationship between electric potential and work done is a fundamental concept in the field of electromagnetism. Essentially, electric potential is a measure of the potential energy that a charged particle possesses at a particular point in an electric field. This potential energy is due to the work done on the particle by the electric field.

To understand this relationship better, let's break down the equation you provided: EP = k*(Q/R). Here, EP represents the electric potential, k is a constant (usually Coulomb's constant), Q is the charge of the particle, and R is the distance from the particle to the source of the electric field.

As you correctly stated, the electric potential is defined as the work done per unit charge (WD/Q) to move a small test charge from infinity to that point. This can also be written as WD = EP * Q. Plugging this into the equation above, we get:

EP * Q = k * (Q/R)

Solving for EP, we get:

EP = k * (Q/R) * (1/Q)

Simplifying, we get:

EP = k/R

This shows that the electric potential is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field, which is represented by k, and inversely proportional to the distance from the particle to the source of the electric field, represented by R.

In terms of work done, the equation shows that the work done (WD) is equal to the electric potential (EP) multiplied by the charge (Q). This means that the greater the electric potential, the more work is done on the particle, and vice versa.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the relationship between electric potential and work done better. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to What is the relationship between electric potential and work done?

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electrical potential energy that a charged particle possesses at a particular point in space. It is measured in volts (V).

How is electric potential different from electric field?

While electric field is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle, electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of that particle. In other words, electric potential is dependent on the location of the particle, while electric field is dependent on the charges and their distances from the particle.

What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is the volt (V). It can also be expressed in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or newtons per coulomb (N/C).

How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electrical potential energy (in joules) by the charge (in coulombs) of the particle at a specific point. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electric field (in newtons per coulomb) by the distance (in meters) from the point at which the potential is being measured.

What are some real-life applications of electric potential?

Electric potential is used in a variety of practical applications such as batteries, generators, and electronic devices. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electrical circuits and in the functioning of the human nervous system.

Back