What is the relationship between force and time in simple harmonic motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the spring constant and how force relates to time in simple harmonic motion. The speaker used Hooke's Law and compared different added masses to the stretch from the equilibrium position to find the spring constant. They then used a logger lite program to graph the Force vs. Time with a 1kg mass and need to create a theoretical Force vs. Time graph to manipulate and calculate the spring constant. They are having trouble understanding the concept of force and its relationship to the equations. The conversation also mentions the previous graph of Force vs. Displacement and the need to compare a second spring constant. The speaker also mentions possible missing information in the experiment and questions the difference between the Force vs. Time and Theoretical Force vs
Meamour
For the lab I have to find the spring constant and how force relates to time with simple harmonic motion. To find the spring constant, I used hooke's law and compared different added masses to the stretch from the equilibrium position. When I graphed that, the slope was the spring constant since F= K*X. Using logger lite, I added a one kg mass to the spring I was using and made it oscillate. The vernier quest and the logger lite program produced a Force vs. Time graph. I need to create a theoretical Force vs. time graph (using the time intervals) and manipulate it so that one of the parameters is the spring constant. i will then proceed to compare that to the spring constant found at the beginning.

I am having trouble figuring out how to manipulate the equations. What is the force? I thought it was the weight but that doesn't make sense because the force is changing with each oscillation anywhere between 5 and 13 N. I know that the period is equal to 2pi* sqrt(k/m) but I just don't understand what the force is and how to relate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Meamour said:
What is the force?
Didn't you already graph the Force vs Displacement when you found the K of the spring?

sophiecentaur said:
Didn't you already graph the Force vs Displacement when you found the K of the spring?
Yes I did but I can't use that data to find the second spring constant to compare it to the first. I have to figure out how to manipulate my Force vs. Time graph (that I did with the 1kg mass) to figure out the spring constant.

Meamour said:
Yes I did but I can't use that data to find the second spring constant to compare it to the first. I have to figure out how to manipulate my Force vs. Time graph (that I did with the 1kg mass) to figure out the spring constant.
Have I missed something here? The spring Constant is a Constant unless you do something to the spring- like shortening it.
Also can you tell me about the "Force vs Time" and the "Theoretical Force vs Time" graphs. How are they different? I think there must be someone that you are not telling us about the experiment because the basics are all about just two or three formulae that are in all the textbooks.

Related to What is the relationship between force and time in simple harmonic motion?

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts towards the equilibrium point. This results in a repetitive back-and-forth motion around the equilibrium point.

2. How can SHM be observed in a lab setting?

SHM can be observed in a lab setting by using a simple pendulum, a spring-mass system, or a vibrating object. These systems exhibit SHM when they are displaced from their equilibrium position and released, resulting in a periodic motion.

3. What are the factors that affect the period of SHM?

The period of SHM is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillations. Increasing the mass or the spring constant will result in a longer period, while increasing the amplitude will result in a shorter period.

4. How is the period of SHM calculated?

The period of SHM can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This formula assumes that the amplitude is small and the object is undergoing ideal SHM.

5. What are the applications of SHM in real life?

SHM has many applications in real life, such as in the operation of clocks, springs in car suspensions, and musical instruments. It is also used in the study of earthquakes and the behavior of atoms in crystal lattices. Understanding SHM is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.