What is the relationship between frequency and cross section in a waveguide?

In summary, you need to know the wavevector, the wavelength, the dimensions of the waveguide, and the cutoff frequency of the waveguide in order to calculate the frequency of the μwave.
Roodles01
I have a question relating to waveguides. Fine, but having looked at what TE TM modes are I don't really see how I can find the frequency of the μwave with the information I have.

Homework Equations

A waveguide with dimensions a & b (short & long sides respetively) propogates in the TM10 mode.

What is the frequency of the μwave?

Now, I have as a clue "the possible modes for f can be found from the guide dimension & wavelength λ. Where λ= c/f

Lovely, but what is the relationsip of f & cross section to λ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Surely this is simple enough NOT to have to go into Maxwell's curl equations!

I just don't have enough information!
Confused, simple!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a wavevector is?

I have some idea, yes.
A vector in 3 dimensions with magnitude & direction which helps to describe a wave.

OK, now if you know the wavevector, can you calculate the frequency of the wave?

No. I don't think i have enough information.
I don't know which equation to use.
I also don't have a wave number, k, etc. which I need for k = (2*pi)/λ
Sorry.

Last edited:
[tex]
\omega = 2 \pi f = \frac{2 \pi}{\lambda} c = c k
[/tex]

again I'm back to λ= c/f without 2 variables.

The point is, the transversal components of the wave vector [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] can only get discrete values.

Roodles01 said:
I have a question relating to waveguides. Fine, but having looked at what TE TM modes are I don't really see how I can find the frequency of the μwave with the information I have.

Homework Equations

A waveguide with dimensions a & b (short & long sides respetively) propogates in the TM10 mode.

What is the frequency of the μwave?

Now, I have as a clue "the possible modes for f can be found from the guide dimension & wavelength λ. Where λ= c/f

Lovely, but what is the relationsip of f & cross section to λ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Surely this is simple enough NOT to have to go into Maxwell's curl equations!

I just don't have enough information!
Confused, simple!

Not enough info.

Any frequency higher than the cutoff frequency can propagate, limited only by the finite conductivity of the waveguide.

The cutoff freq. for your waveguide is √{(1/4πε)(1/a2)} SI.

OK. I have, as dimensions short side a = 4cm & long side b = 5cm
I'm still working at it.

Related to What is the relationship between frequency and cross section in a waveguide?

1. What is a waveguide?

A waveguide is a structure used to guide and direct electromagnetic waves, such as microwaves, with minimal loss of energy. It is typically made of a metal tube or rectangular box and acts as a conduit for the waves to travel through.

2. How do microwaves travel through a waveguide?

Microwaves travel through a waveguide by bouncing off the walls of the structure in a zigzag pattern. This method, known as the transverse electromagnetic mode, allows the waves to travel in a straight line with minimal interference or loss of energy.

3. What are the advantages of using waveguides for microwaves?

Waveguides offer several advantages for transmitting microwaves. They have a larger bandwidth compared to other transmission methods, meaning they can carry a wider range of frequencies. They also have lower loss of energy, allowing for longer transmission distances. Additionally, waveguides are more resistant to external interference and can handle higher power levels without damage.

4. What are the different types of waveguides for microwaves?

There are several types of waveguides used for microwaves, including rectangular, circular, and coaxial waveguides. Rectangular waveguides are the most common and are used for higher frequency ranges. Circular waveguides are typically used for lower frequency ranges and have a cylindrical shape. Coaxial waveguides have a central conductor surrounded by a cylindrical outer conductor, and are commonly used for transmitting radio and television signals.

5. How are microwaves generated and detected in a waveguide?

Microwaves are typically generated by a device called a magnetron, which converts electrical energy into electromagnetic waves. The waves are then fed into the waveguide through an opening called an aperture. On the other end of the waveguide, the microwaves are detected by an antenna or probe, which converts them back into electrical energy.