What is the relationship between GCD, LCM, and relatively prime numbers?

• Thread starter 1+1=1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcd
In summary, the two items mentioned in the conversation can be proved using the Greatest Common Divisor and the Least Common Multiple.
1+1=1
Let a, b, and c be positive integers.

I need to prove two items...

1. abc = GCD(a,b,c) * LCM(ab,bc,ac)
2. abc = GCD(ab,ac,bc) * LCM(a,b,c)

where the GCD is the Greatest Common Divisor and the LCM is the Least Common Multiple.

Could I go ahead and say that (a,b,c)=1, that is relatively prime? Am I wrong in saying this part? If so, what could I say to make it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
1+1=1 said:
Let a, b, and c be positive integers.

Could I go ahead and say that (a,b,c)=1, that is relatively prime? Am I wrong in saying this part? If so, what could I say to make it right?

They have to be pairwise prime. We might have a case like (5,5,1) =1.

Look here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeastCommonMultiple.html

If we prime factorize a, b, and c as follows:

[tex]a = p_1^{a_1} \dots p_n^{a_n}[/tex]

[tex]b = p_1^{b_1} \dots p_n^{b_n}[/tex]

[tex]c = p_1^{c_1} \dots p_n^{c_n}[/tex]

Where [itex]p_n[/itex] is the greatest prime occurring in at least one of the prime factorizations of a, b, and c, and where [itex]a_i = 0[/itex] if [itex]p_i[/itex] doesn't occur in the prime factorization of a (and similar things go for b and c), then:

[tex]LCM(ab, bc, ca) = \prod _{i = 1} ^n p_i^{\max \{a_i + b_i, b_i + c_i, c_i + a_i \}}[/tex]

See the page on the same site about the GCD, and we can say:

[tex]GCD(a, b, c) = \prod _{i = 1} ^n p_i^{\min \{a_i, b_i, c_i \}}[/tex]

Multiplying the two, we get:

[tex]\prod _{i = 1} ^n p_i^{\min \{a_i, b_i, c_i \} + \min \{a_i + b_i, b_i + c_i, c_i + a_i\}} = \prod _{i = 1} ^n p_i^{a_i + b_i + c_i} = abc[/tex]

as required. Something similar can be done for the other proposition. I think, however, that you might want to prove that LCM and GCD can be expressed as such products (which I doubt will be too difficult).

Last edited:
Edited: to note that i just saw AGK did the exact same thing.

I need to prove two items...

1. abc = GCD(a,b,c) * LCM(ab,bc,ac)
2. abc = GCD(ab,ac,bc) * LCM(a,b,c)

where the GCD is the Greatest Common Divisor and the LCM is the Least Common Multiple.

let fp:N->Union(N,{0}) (N the set of natural numbers {1,2,...})
s.t. fp(n)=k=>k is the largest whole number for which p^k|n
we can assume p is prime though we need not

lemma:
fp(n)=fp(m) for all p in P (P the set of prime numbers)=> n=m
(proof obvious by unique prime factorization)

fp has some useful properties
fp(n*m)=fp(n)+fp(m)
fp(GCD(a(1),...,a(n))=min({fp(a(1),...,fp(a(n))})
fp(LCD(a(1),...,a(n))=max({fp(a(1),...,fp(a(n))})

so using this on (1)
fp(abc)=fp(a)+fp(b)+fp(c)
fp(GCD(a,b,c) * LCM(ab,bc,ac))=fp(GCD(a,b,c))+fp(LCM(ab,bc,ac))
=min({fp(a),fp(b),fp(c)})+max({fp(ab),fp(bc),fp(ac)}
=min({fp(a),fp(b),fp(c)})+max({fp(a)+fp(b),fp(b)+fp(c),fp(a)+fp(c)}
=min({fp(a),fp(b),fp(c)})+max({fp(a)+fp(b)+fp(c)-fp(c),fp(a)+fp(b)+fp(c)-fp(a),fp(a)+fp(b)+fp(c)-fp(b)}
=min({fp(a),fp(b),fp(c)})+max({fp(a)+fp(b)+fp(c)-fp(a),fp(a)+fp(b)+fp(c)-fp(b),fp(a)+fp(b)+fp(c)-fp(c)}
=min({fp(a),fp(b),fp(c)})+fp(a)+fp(b)+fp(c)-min({fp(a),fp(b),fp(c)}
fp(GCD(a,b,c) * LCM(ab,bc,ac))=fp(a)+fp(b)+fp(c)
thus
fp(abc)=fp(GCD(a,b,c) * LCM(ab,bc,ac))
p was arbitrary so
abc=GCD(a,b,c) * LCM(ab,bc,ac)

(2) can be do by the same method.

Last edited:

Related to What is the relationship between GCD, LCM, and relatively prime numbers?

What is GCD and LCM?

GCD stands for Greatest Common Divisor and LCM stands for Least Common Multiple. They are mathematical concepts used to find the largest common factor and smallest common multiple between two or more numbers, respectively.

How is GCD and LCM used in proving?

GCD and LCM are used in proving to show the relationship between two or more numbers. By finding the GCD and LCM, we can determine if the numbers are relatively prime or if they have any common factors.

What is the difference between GCD and LCM?

The GCD is the largest common factor between two or more numbers, while the LCM is the smallest common multiple. This means that the GCD will always be smaller than or equal to the LCM.

Can GCD and LCM be used to prove divisibility?

Yes, GCD and LCM can be used to prove divisibility. If the GCD of two numbers is greater than 1, it means that the numbers have a common factor and are not relatively prime. Similarly, if the LCM of two numbers is equal to their product, it means that they have no common factors and are relatively prime.

Are there any other applications of GCD and LCM?

Yes, GCD and LCM have various applications in mathematics and computer science. They are used in simplifying fractions, finding equivalent fractions, and determining the lowest common denominator. In computer science, they are used in algorithms for efficient data storage and retrieval.