What is the relationship between heat capacity and temperature?

In summary, the heat capacity decreases as temperature increases. The boundary of k is unknown, but can be solved using numerical summation.
MMS
Hello,
I'm reposting this 'cause I think it's more relevant here than where it was posted before. Not sure how to delete the other one...

I'm trying to plot the heat capacity as a function of the temperature from some small temperature to Debye's using numerical summation over the energy (shown in the photo below).
However, I'm struggling to determine the boundary of k (actually, of all three since there are 3 sums).
M7dVt2S.png

I'm using Maple for those wondering.

I'd be more than happy if someone could help me out with that.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a periodic crystal the largest k of lattice vibrations is pi/a. (I am not sure I understand the question.)

Yes, so I believe. I summed over the FBZ (-pi/a to pi/a) for each of k's products.

I'm yet to be able to work this out on Maple though.

Do you have any experience with it? Or if anyone reading this knows some Maple, how will I be able to insert the expression for C(T) above (I can upload what I've tried if needed) and actually have it work (I'm not getting anything)? :P

It is sufficient to sum over one irreducible wedge of the Brillouin zone, that saves some computing time.

Hi,

I tried plotting it first in 1D (hence sin(k*a/2) where k has only one product) and i receive the expected graph of C(T) vs T.

However, when I plot it in 2D and 3D it becomes this deadly noise-like signal (example shown below for what I got in 3D).
hoHEj05.png

Any idea where I could be mistaken? I literally just plugged the expression in Maple..

So that is basically a constant large value. With numerical noise that increases linearly with temperature.
And I assume that you know that it should start out as T^3, approaching the Dulong-Petit value asymptotically for hight T.

Sorry, I do not know anything about Maple.

FAQ: What is the relationship between heat capacity and temperature?

What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity, also known as specific heat, is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is a measure of how much heat a substance can store.

How does heat capacity change with temperature?

As temperature increases, the heat capacity of a substance generally decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, molecules have more kinetic energy and are able to vibrate more, making it easier for them to absorb heat. This results in a smaller change in temperature for a given amount of heat added.

What is the difference between specific heat and molar heat capacity?

Specific heat is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius, while molar heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 mole of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Molar heat capacity takes into account the number of molecules in a substance, and is typically a larger value than specific heat.

How is heat capacity measured?

Heat capacity can be measured experimentally by heating a substance and measuring the change in temperature. The heat capacity can then be calculated by dividing the amount of heat added by the change in temperature.

Why is heat capacity important?

Heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature. It also plays a crucial role in many industrial processes, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems, and in the study of thermodynamics.