What is the Relationship Between Loggamma Integral and Barnes' G-Function?

• MHB
  • Thread starter DreamWeaver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Gamma(z) - \int_{0}^{z} \log \Gamma(x) \ dx = z \log z - \int_{0}^{z} \log \Gamma(x) \ dx $$ \displaystyle = \frac{1}{2} z(z-1) + z \log \Gamma(z) - \int_{0}^{z} \log \Gamma(x) \ dx $$ \displaystyle \implies G(z+1) = G(z) \Gamma(z)$which is the functional equation.
DreamWeaver
Assuming the canonical product forms for the Gamma Function \(\displaystyle \Gamma(z)\) and Double Gamma Function (Barnes' G-Function) \(\displaystyle \text{G}(z)\):\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\Gamma(x)}=xe^{\gamma x}\, \prod_{k=1}^{\infty}\Bigg\{e^{-x/k}\left(1+\frac{x}{k}\right)\Bigg\}\)\(\displaystyle G(z+1)=(2\pi)^{z/2}\text{exp}\left(-\frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma)}{2}\right)\, \prod_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(1+\frac{z}{k}\right) \text {exp}\left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z\right)\)Where the Euler-Mascheroni constant is defined by the limit:\(\displaystyle \gamma=\lim_{n\to\infty}\, \left(1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}+\cdots +\frac{1}{n}-\log n \right)\)And the Barnes' G-Function has the property:\(\displaystyle \text{G}(z+1)=\text{G}(z)\,\Gamma(z)\)Prove the following parametric evaluation:
\(\displaystyle \int_0^z\log\Gamma(x)\,dx=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{z(1-z)}{2}+\frac{z}{2}\log(2\pi)+z\,\log\Gamma(z)-\log\text{G}(z+1)\)

(Hug) (Hug) (Hug)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, for $0 < x <1 $, $\displaystyle \ln \Gamma(x)$ has the Fourier expansion

$$ \ln \Gamma(x) = \frac{\ln 2 \pi}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2n} \cos(2 \pi n x) + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\gamma + \ln(2 \pi n) }{n \pi} \sin(2 \pi n x)$$So

$$\int_{0}^{z} \ln \Gamma(x) \ dx = \frac{z}{2} \ln (2 \pi) + \frac{1}{4 \pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin(2 \pi n z)}{n^{2}} + \frac{\gamma}{2 \pi^{2}} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(2 \pi n z)-1}{n^{2}} $$

$$ + \frac{1}{2 \pi^{2}} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\ln(2 \pi n)}{n^{2}} \Big(\cos(2 \pi nz) -1 \Big)$$

I don't know what to do from there, though.

Here's a little hint, if you like... (Bandit)
Take the logarithm of canonical product for the Barnes G function. Keep a note of that result, integrate the logarithm of the Weierstrauss product form for the Gamma function from 0 to z, and then compare the two...

Using the product representation which I still can't derive,

$\displaystyle \ln G(z+1) = \frac{z}{2} \ln(2 \pi) - \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) - \frac{1}{2}\gamma z^{2} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \Bigg( -z+\frac{z^{2}}{2k} + k \ln \Big( 1+ \frac{z}{k} \Big) \Bigg)$And from the Weierstrass product representation of the Gamma function,

$ \displaystyle \ln \Gamma(z+1) = - \gamma z + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \Bigg( \frac{z}{k} - \ln \Big(1+ \frac{z}{k} \Big) \Bigg) $

EDIT: $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{z} \ln \Gamma(x+1) \ dx = -\frac{\gamma z^{2}}{2} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \Bigg( \frac{z^{2}}{2k} - (z+1)\log \Big( 1+ \frac{z}{k} \Big) - z \Bigg)$So $\displaystyle z \ln \Gamma(z+1) - \int_{0}^{z} \ln \Gamma(z+1) = - \frac{1}{2} \gamma z^{2} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \Bigg(\frac{z^{2}}{2k} + k \ln \Big( 1+ \frac{z}{k} \Big) -x \Bigg)$Rearranging we have

$ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{z} \ln \Gamma (x+1) \ dx = \int_{0}^{z} \ln \Gamma(x+1) \ dx + \int_{0}^{z} \ln z = \int_{0}^{z} \ln \Gamma(x+1) \ dx + z \ln z -z $

$ \displaystyle = \frac{z}{2} \ln(2 \pi)- \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) + z \ln \Gamma(z+1) - G (z+1)$

$ \displaystyle = \frac{z}{2} \ln(2 \pi)- \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) + z \ln z + z \ln \Gamma(z) - G(z+1)$$ \displaystyle \implies \int_{0}^{z} \ln \Gamma(x+1) \ dx = \frac{z}{2} \ln(2 \pi) - \frac{z(z-1)}{2} + z \ln \Gamma(z) - G(z+1) $

Last edited:
Random Variable said:
I'm feeling quite stupid.
With the sort of problems you solve? (Wait) I hope you're not selling that, cos I'm not buying it... Meh!

It's just late, is all... (Bandit)Here's a slightly different angle: looking at the closed form given, express the series difference\(\displaystyle z\log\Gamma(z)-\log G(z+1)\)using both canonical products...

Can you spot the similarity between that and \(\displaystyle \int_0^z\log\Gamma(x)\,dx=\int_0^z\log\left[ xe^{\gamma x} \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \Bigg\{ e^{-x/k}\left(1+\frac{x}{k}\right)\Bigg\}\right]\,dx\)...? ;)If you write\(\displaystyle z\log\Gamma(z)-\log G(z+1)-\int_0^z\log\left[ xe^{\gamma x} \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \Bigg\{ e^{-x/k}\left(1+\frac{x}{k}\right)\Bigg\}\right]\,dx\)what do you get...?

You know what I did? I differentiated $ \displaystyle \ln \Big(1+ \frac{z}{k} \Big)$ instead of integrating. (Doh)

EDIT: I fixed my post.

Last edited:
Random Variable said:
You know what I did? I differentiated $ \displaystyle \ln \Big(1+ \frac{z}{k} \Big)$ instead of integrating. (Doh)

EDIT: I fixed my post.

Easily done! Been there, bought - and regretted buying - the t-shirt...

DreamWeaver

Could you show either in this thread or in the thread on the other forum that the infinite product representation of $G(x)$ satisfies the functional equation?

And so you're aware, you're missing the exponent $k$.$ \displaystyle G(z+1)=(2\pi)^{z/2}\text{exp}\left(-\frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma)}{2}\right)\, \prod_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(1+\frac{z}{k}\right)^{ {\color{red}{k}} } \text {exp}\left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z\right)$

Random Variable said:
DreamWeaverAnd so you're aware, you're missing the exponent $k$.
Oooops! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry about that...
Random Variable said:
DreamWeaver

Could you show either in this thread or in the thread on the other forum that the infinite

product representation of $G(x)$ satisfies the functional equation?
Good idea! :D It's been a very long day at work, mind, so I'll give this one a go tomorrow. If I get started now... (Wait)

Here's an alternative derivation.$ \displaystyle \log G(z+1) = \frac{z}{2} \log(2 \pi) - \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) - \frac{1}{2}\gamma z^{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \Bigg( -z+\frac{z^{2}}{2n} + n \log \Big( 1+ \frac{z}{n} \Big) \Bigg) $

$ \displaystyle = \frac{z}{2} \log(2 \pi) - \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) - \frac{1}{2}\gamma z^{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \Big(-z + \frac{z^{2}}{2n} + n \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k-1}}{k} \frac{z^{k}}{n^{k}} \Big)$

$ \displaystyle = \frac{z}{2} \log(2 \pi) - \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) - \frac{1}{2}\gamma z^{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \sum_{k=3}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k-1}}{k} \frac{z^{k}}{n^{k}} $

$ \displaystyle = \frac{z}{2} \log(2 \pi) - \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) - \frac{1}{2}\gamma z^{2} + \sum_{k=3}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k-1}}{k} z^{k} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{k-1}} $

$ \displaystyle = \frac{z}{2} \log(2 \pi) - \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) - \frac{1}{2}\gamma z^{2} +\sum_{k=3}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k-1}}{k} \zeta(k-1) z^{k} $

$ \displaystyle = \frac{z}{2} \log(2 \pi) - \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) - \frac{1}{2}\gamma z^{2} +\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1} \zeta(k) z^{k+1} $Now I'm going to use the generating function $ \displaystyle\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \zeta(k) z^{k-1} = - \gamma - \psi(1-z)$.

A derivation can be found here. Then

$\displaystyle \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^{k} \zeta(k) z^{k} = \gamma z + z \psi(z+1) $

And upon integrating both sides from $0$ to $z$,

$ \displaystyle \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1} \zeta(k) z^{k+1} = \frac{\gamma z^{2}}{2} + z \log \Gamma(z+1) - \int_{0}^{z} \log \Gamma(x+1) \ dx $So

$ \displaystyle G(z+1) = \frac{z}{2} \log(2 \pi) - \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) - \frac{1}{2}\gamma z^{2} + \frac{1}{2} \gamma z^{2} + z \log \Gamma(z+1) - \int_{0}^{z} \log \Gamma(x+1) \ dx $

$ \displaystyle = \frac{z}{2} \log(2 \pi) - \frac{1}{2} z(z+1) + z \log z + z \log \Gamma(z) -z \log z + z - \int_{0}^{z} \log \Gamma(x) \ dx $

$ \displaystyle = \frac{z}{2} \log(2 \pi) + \frac{z(1-z)}{2} + z \ln \Gamma(z) -\int_{0}^{z} \log \Gamma(x) \ dx $And by analytic continuation, the equation should be valid for $\text{Re}(z) > 0 $, not just $0 < \text{Re}(z) < 1$.

Last edited:
Very nice RV !

Very nice indeed, RV...! (Muscle)

On the subject of the Barnes G-function, have you - in your travails - come across a Fourier expansion? I'm sure there must be one... Would be mighty useful, methinks.

Related to What is the Relationship Between Loggamma Integral and Barnes' G-Function?

1. What is the Loggamma integral?

The Loggamma integral is a mathematical function used in statistics and physics. It is defined as the integral of the logarithm of the Gamma function, which is a special function used to extend the factorial operation to non-integer values. The Loggamma integral is denoted as Γ(z) = ∫ ln(t) * t^(z-1) * e^(-t) dt, where z is a complex number.

2. What is the significance of the Loggamma integral?

The Loggamma integral is used to approximate the factorial of non-integer numbers, which is often needed in various statistical and physical calculations. It is also used to calculate the beta function, which is an important tool in probability theory and statistics. In addition, the Loggamma integral has applications in fields such as number theory, combinatorics, and mathematical physics.

3. How is the Loggamma integral calculated?

The Loggamma integral can be calculated using numerical methods, such as the Simpson's rule or the Gauss-Laguerre quadrature. It can also be approximated using various series expansions and asymptotic formulas. In some cases, the Loggamma integral can be expressed in terms of other special functions, such as the hypergeometric function or the incomplete gamma function.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Loggamma integral?

The Loggamma integral is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, statistics, and computer science. Some specific applications include calculating the partition function in statistical mechanics, modeling radioactive decay processes, and evaluating the performance of communication systems. It is also used in the analysis of biological data, such as DNA sequencing and gene expression.

5. Are there any special properties of the Loggamma integral?

Yes, the Loggamma integral has several interesting properties that make it a useful mathematical function. For example, it is closely related to the Riemann zeta function and the Bernoulli numbers. It also satisfies various functional equations and has special values at certain points, such as z = 0 and z = 1. Additionally, the Loggamma integral has connections to other special functions, such as the polygamma function and the Bessel function.