What is the relationship between pressure and volume in water?

• Thread starter KingAntikrist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between volume and pressure of a body of water, as well as the calculation of the force exerted by water opposing compression. The topic of "bulk modulus" is mentioned as a reference for further understanding.
KingAntikrist
Hey,

I want to know how much does the volume of a body of water gets smaller per unit of pressure increase, assuming volume is in [itex]m^3[/itex] and pressure in Pa (or N/m^2).

And another thing, can the force which the liquid (water) exerts outward opposing compression be calculated?

I hope you understood my question. I'm asking them out of curiosity, nothing else :P.

Physics news on Phys.org
Filip Larsen said:
You may want to search your references for "bulk modulus". See [1] for a brief description.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulk_modulus

Thank you, this makes makes my issue clear now.

FAQ: What is the relationship between pressure and volume in water?

1. What does it mean for water to be incompressible?

Water is considered incompressible because it is very difficult to change its volume under normal conditions. This means that no matter how much pressure is applied to it, the volume of water remains nearly constant.

2. Why is water incompressible?

This is due to the strong intermolecular forces between water molecules. The hydrogen bonds between water molecules make it difficult for them to be pushed closer together, resulting in a nearly constant volume despite external pressure.

3. Is water completely incompressible?

No, water is not completely incompressible. While it may be difficult to change its volume, it is not impossible. Under extremely high pressures, such as those found in the ocean's depths, water can compress slightly.

4. What are some practical applications of water incompressibility?

Water's incompressibility is essential for many everyday activities, such as diving and swimming. It also plays a crucial role in hydraulic systems, where the resistance to compression allows for the transfer of force from one point to another.

5. Are there any exceptions to water's incompressibility?

Yes, there are some exceptions to water's incompressibility. For example, at very high temperatures, water can exist in a supercritical state where it can be compressed more easily. Additionally, impurities in water can also affect its compressibility.

Back