What is the relationship of this formula?

In summary, the formula E=I/r^2 is a representation of the inverse square law of electromagnetic propagation, where each doubling of distance from the source results in a four-fold decrease in intensity. In a photovoltaic cell experiment, this formula relates to the current produced by the cell, which is directly proportional to the luminance or normal illuminance. It is possible to use the same setup to detect illuminance at different angles, as long as adjustments are made to the micro ammeter.
Outrageous
E(lux), I (candelas) , r(meters)
E=I/r^2.

What is this formula ? I got it from a photovoltaic cell experiment. Use solar cell connect to a micro ammeter to detect the current produced due to the intensity of the light source.
The bigger the r , the lower the current.
how does the formula relate to current??

Please guide. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically that is a representation of the inverse square law of EM propagation. Each doubling of your distance from source equates to a four fold decrease in intensity.

In the photovoltaic cell experiment , the E is luminance or normal illuminance which is directly proportional to the current produced by the photovoltaic cell?

Is that possible to use the same set up to detect the illuminance by having same changes to the micro ammeter used? I mean when the cell is not normal to the light source, then the current gained is not same as the current gained when the cell is normal to the light source. My question is no matter the cell surface move with any angle, is that possible to get the reading of current which is directly proportional to the illuminance by doing something to the micro ammeter Thank you so much

Last edited:

Related to What is the relationship of this formula?

What is the relationship of this formula?

The relationship of a formula is the mathematical connection between different variables or quantities. It describes how one variable affects another.

How do you determine the relationship between variables in a formula?

The relationship between variables in a formula is determined by analyzing the pattern of change in the variables. This can be done by plotting the variables on a graph and observing the trend.

What is the difference between a direct and inverse relationship in a formula?

A direct relationship in a formula means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases. In an inverse relationship, as one variable increases, the other variable decreases.

Can a formula have multiple relationships?

Yes, a formula can have multiple relationships. This means that more than two variables can be connected to each other in a formula.

Why is it important to understand the relationship between variables in a formula?

Understanding the relationship between variables in a formula is important because it helps us make predictions and solve problems. It also allows us to manipulate the variables to achieve a desired outcome.