What is the Remainder When a Polynomial is Divided by a Product of Linear Terms?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem, but did not correctly calculate the remainder.
sbhit2001

Homework Statement

If a , b, c are distinct and p(x) is a polynomial in x which leaves remainders a,b,c on division by (x-a),(x-b),(x-c) respectively. Then the remainder on division of p(x) by(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) is

Homework Equations

As it is given that p(x) gives remainder a when divided by (x-a), so p(a) should be equal to a by remainder theorem.Similarl p(b) = b and p(c)=c.

The Attempt at a Solution

As (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) is a cubic polynomial, remainder can be max quadratic so I assume it to be px^2 + qx + r.Again by remainder theorem we will get 3 equations for p,q,r by using a,b,c. As we see that p(a) = a, p(b)=b,p(c)=c ; Then we can say that a,b,c will be roots of px^2 +x(q-1) + r. But a quadratic polynomial can have max 2 roots. Can u please tell me what did I do wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Then we can say that a,b,c will be roots of px^2 +x(q-1) + r.
How did you come to that conclusion?

mfb said:
How did you come to that conclusion?
Because (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) will be 0 at the values ie a,b,c so remainder at each of these values will be p(a),p(b),p(c) ie a,b,c. So, eg if we take a we get pa^2 + qa + r = a , ie pa^2 +a(q-1) + r = 0 . In all a,b,c we get same expression. So I think that means a , b ,c will be roots of px^2 + x(q-1) + r.

sbhit2001 said:

Homework Statement

If a , b, c are distinct and p(x) is a polynomial in x which leaves remainders a,b,c on division by (x-a),(x-b),(x-c) respectively. Then the remainder on division of p(x) by(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) is
The remainder is what?
sbhit2001 said:

Homework Equations

As it is given that p(x) is divisible by (x-a)
This is NOT given. It does NOT say that p(x) is divisible by x - a, or x - b, or x - c.
sbhit2001 said:
, so p(a) should be equal to a by remainder theorem.Similarl p(b) = b and p(c)=c.

The Attempt at a Solution

As (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) is a cubic polynomial,

remainder can be max quadratic so I assume it to be px^2 + qx + r.Again by remainder theorem we will get 3 equations for p,q,r by using a,b,c. As we see that p(a) = a, p(b)=b,p(c)=c ; Then we can say that a,b,c will be roots of px^2 +x(q-1) + r. But a quadratic polynomial can have max 2 roots. Can u please tell me what did I do wrong here?

Id like you to consider this eg: let p(x)=x and when you divide this by x-a,x-b,x-c you get a,b,c as remainders and when you divide this by their combined product you get x ie p(x) itself as the remainder.So I think your remainder will be p(x) in your question ie the degree of p(x) is < 3.

FAQ: What is the Remainder When a Polynomial is Divided by a Product of Linear Terms?

What is the remainder theorem?

The remainder theorem is a mathematical concept that states that when a polynomial function is divided by a linear function, the remainder is equal to the value of the polynomial at the point where the linear function is equal to zero.

What is the significance of the remainder theorem?

The remainder theorem is significant because it allows us to find the remainder of a polynomial division without having to perform the actual division. This can save time and effort when working with complex polynomial expressions.

How is the remainder theorem used in real life?

The remainder theorem has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to polynomial equations, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function. It is also used in data analysis to determine the best-fit line for a set of data points.

What is the difference between the remainder theorem and the factor theorem?

The remainder theorem and the factor theorem are closely related concepts. The main difference is that the remainder theorem focuses on the remainder of a polynomial division, while the factor theorem focuses on finding the factors of a polynomial function.

What are some common mistakes when applying the remainder theorem?

Some common mistakes when applying the remainder theorem include forgetting to use the correct sign for the remainder, not considering all possible factors of the linear function, and using the wrong polynomial to find the remainder. It is important to carefully check all steps when using the remainder theorem to avoid these errors.