What is the required force to push a 5.00-kg box up a 30° incline in 4.00s?

In summary, the question involves finding the constant force F, applied parallel to the surface of a ramp, needed to push a 5.00-kg box to the top of the ramp in 4.00s. The box is initially at rest at the bottom of the 8.00m long ramp, which is inclined at 30.0° above the horizontal. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are given as μs = 0.50 and μk = 0.40, respectively. By using equations for force and acceleration, it can be determined that the force required is 50.72N, taking into account the effects of gravity, normal force, and kinetic friction.
Zarrey

Homework Statement

A 5.00-kg box sits at rest at the bottom of a ramp that is 8.00m long and that is inclined at 30.0° above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is μk = 0.40, and the coefficient of static friction is μs = 0.50. What constant force F, applied parallel to the surface of the ramp, is required to push the box to the top of the ramp in a time of 4.00s?g = 9.8 in my class

Homework Equations

Fg = m(g)
FN = m(g)(cos(θ))
Ffk = μk(FN)
FNET = m(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fg = 5(9.8) = 49N

FN = 5(9.8)(cos(30)) = 42.44N

Ffk = .40(42.44) = 16.98N

This is where I get stuck. I am able to find the minimum amount required to get it to start and keep moving but not what the question is asking. My textbook does not explain this topic very well so I was getting frustrated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zarrey!

You know the forces that act on the block along(parallel) the incline. These are constant, and so is your force F. Now the sum of these forces need to produce an acceleration a, such that the distance traveled in t seconds is the length L of the incline. As an equation, you can write that as

[tex]L = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

so then

L = .5a(t2)
8 = .5a(42)
8 = .5a(16)
8 = 8a
1m/s = a

Fll = 49(sin(30))
Fll = 24.5N

FNET = Fp - Fll - Ffk

And then Newtons law:

Fp - Fll - Ffk = m(a)
Fp - 24.5 - 21.22 = 5(1)
Fp = 50.72N

is this correct? (i substituted Fp as the push force since that what we use in class)

Bump.

Sorry for this bump but this question is kind of important as it is on a take home test. I'm kind of freaking out because I am already turning it in late. A validation response would be much appreciated. And thanks for the help in advance.

Zarrey said:
so then

L = .5a(t2)
8 = .5a(42)
8 = .5a(16)
8 = 8a
1m/s = a

Fll = 49(sin(30))
Fll = 24.5N

FNET = Fp - Fll - Ffk

And then Newtons law:

Fp - Fll - Ffk = m(a)
Fp - 24.5 - 21.22 = 5(1)
Fp = 50.72N

is this correct? (i substituted Fp as the push force since that what we use in class)
Looks good except that you used static friction instead of kinetic friction.

Zarrey said:
so then

L = .5a(t2)
8 = .5a(42)
8 = .5a(16)
8 = 8a
1m/s = a

Fll = 49(sin(30))
Fll = 24.5N

FNET = Fp - Fll - Ffk

And then Newtons law:

Fp - Fll - Ffk = m(a)
Fp - 24.5 - 21.22 = 5(1)
Fp = 50.72N

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

The bolded term seems wrong. You need to use the kinetic friction coefficient.

thanks a lot, i appreciate everyone's help in getting me to understand this frustrating topic :).

Related to What is the required force to push a 5.00-kg box up a 30° incline in 4.00s?

1. What is push force up an incline?

Push force up an incline refers to the amount of force required to move an object up an inclined surface. It is the force that must be applied in a horizontal direction to counteract the weight of the object being moved.

2. How is push force related to the angle of incline?

The push force required to move an object up an incline is directly proportional to the angle of incline. As the angle increases, the push force also increases.

3. What factors affect push force up an incline?

The factors that affect push force up an incline include the weight of the object being moved, the angle of incline, the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline surface, and the force of gravity.

4. How can push force be calculated?

Push force can be calculated using the formula F = mg sinθ, where F is the push force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of incline.

5. How can push force up an incline be reduced?

Push force up an incline can be reduced by decreasing the angle of incline, reducing the weight of the object, or by increasing the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline surface.