What Is the Result of -4.00 C·(4.00 A×B) in Vector Calculations?

• Thread starter Gattz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, using the definition of the scalar product and the fact that a x b = (a2b3 - a3b2)i + (a3b1 - a1b3)j, the angle between the vectors <8.0, 8.0, 8.0> and <7.0, 5.0, 6.0> is found by finding the magnitude of each vector and taking the inverse cosine of their dot product divided by the product of their magnitudes.
Gattz

Homework Statement

For the following three vectors, what is -4.00 C·(4.00 A×B)?
http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c03/eq03_86.gif"

Homework Equations

a x b = (a2b3 - a3b2) i + (a3b1 - a1b3) j + (a1b2 - a2b1) k

The Attempt at a Solution

I've multiplied 4 to each of the numbers in A, then plugged in numbers of A and B to the equation, next I multiplied -4 x C and used those to multiply the answer of A and B to get 224 + 1024 + 68k. I really am lost here.

Homework Statement

Use the definition of scalar product, vectors a ·b = ab cos θ, and the fact that vectors a · b= axbx + ayby + azbz to calculate the angle between the two vectors given by = 8.0i + 8.0j + 8.0k and = 7.0i + 5.0j + 6.0k.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the magnitude of A = 11.3 and B = 8.6 using pythagorean theorem. Then I did 8x7 + 8x4 + 8x6 = 144. Then cos-1(144/97.2), but I don't get an angle...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gattz! :smile:

i] don't multiply the vectors by 4 at the start

it makes the numbers too large :rolleyes:

find C.(AxB) first, then multiply it by -16. :wink:
Gattz said:

Homework Equations

a x b = (a2b3 - a3b2) i + (a3b1 - a1b3) j + (a1b2 - a2b1) k

ii] yes, this is correct … use it! (for AxB)

(and don't bother with the (a1b2 - a2b1)k … you won't need it when you dot-product with C, will you? :smile:)

Your approach to the first problem seems to be correct. However, your final answer should be in the form of a vector, not just a value. So the correct answer would be -4.00C * (224i + 1024j + 68k).

For the second problem, your approach is also correct. However, you made a mistake in calculating the magnitude of vector B. It should be 8.6, not 8.2. Also, when using the cosine function, make sure to use the inverse cosine function (cos^-1). So the final answer should be cos^-1 (144/97.2) = 51.3 degrees.

Related to What Is the Result of -4.00 C·(4.00 A×B) in Vector Calculations?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in many different fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration, and they can also be used to describe the movement of objects in space.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a mathematical object that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars can be represented by a single number, while vectors require both a magnitude and a direction to be fully described.

4. How are vectors added and subtracted?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first break them down into their components (x and y for 2D vectors, or x, y, and z for 3D vectors). Then, you can add or subtract the corresponding components to get the resulting vector.

5. Can vectors be multiplied?

Yes, vectors can be multiplied in two ways: scalar multiplication and vector multiplication. Scalar multiplication multiplies a vector by a scalar (a single number), resulting in a vector with the same direction but a different magnitude. Vector multiplication, also known as the dot product or cross product, results in a scalar or another vector, respectively.