What is the result of mixing 10g of ice at -10 deg celcius?

• Thread starter postthreads
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, an explanation to the problem is a detailed and logical reasoning that helps to clarify the underlying cause or reasoning behind a particular issue or question. It is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the issue, aids in finding effective solutions, and promotes critical thinking. To develop an explanation, one must conduct thorough research, gather and analyze data, and use critical thinking skills. The key components of a good explanation include a clear statement of the problem, relevant evidence and data, a logical argument, and a conclusion. In the scientific process, an explanation is used to guide research and experimentation, analyze results, and contribute to the development of new theories and hypotheses.
postthreads

Homework Statement

Find the result of mixing 10g of ice at -10 deg celcius. Specific heat capacity of ice = 2.1 J/g K. Specific heat capacity of water is 4.2 J/g K. Specific latent heat of ice = 336 J/g.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0.625g, temperature will remain at 0 deg celcius.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement is incomplete. Mixing 10g of ice with what?

mixing with water

OK. How much water? Is this going to be a Twenty Questions session?

I would approach this problem by using the principles of thermodynamics and heat transfer. First, I would calculate the energy required to melt 10g of ice at -10 deg celcius using the specific latent heat of ice (336 J/g). This would give me a total energy of 3360 J.

Next, I would calculate the energy needed to raise the temperature of 10g of water from 0 deg celcius to its melting point of 0 deg celcius, using the specific heat capacity of water (4.2 J/g K). This would give me an energy of 42 J.

Therefore, the total energy required to melt 10g of ice and raise its temperature to 0 deg celcius is 3360 J + 42 J = 3402 J.

Using the specific heat capacity of ice (2.1 J/g K), I would then calculate the energy required to raise the temperature of 10g of ice from -10 deg celcius to 0 deg celcius. This would give me an energy of 210 J.

Subtracting this energy from the total energy required (3402 J - 210 J = 3192 J), I can determine that the remaining energy is used to melt the ice. Dividing this energy by the specific latent heat of ice (336 J/g), I can calculate that 9.5g of ice will melt.

Therefore, the final result of mixing 10g of ice at -10 deg celcius is 0.5g of ice remaining and 9.5g of water at 0 deg celcius. The temperature will remain at 0 deg celcius due to the energy being used for phase change (melting) rather than temperature change.

FAQ: What is the result of mixing 10g of ice at -10 deg celcius?

What is an explanation to the problem?

An explanation to the problem is a detailed and logical reasoning that helps to clarify the underlying cause or reasoning behind a particular issue or question. It aims to provide a clear understanding of why something is happening or why a certain problem exists.

Why is an explanation to the problem important?

An explanation to the problem is important because it helps to provide a deeper understanding of the issue at hand. It allows for a more comprehensive analysis and can aid in finding effective solutions. It also helps to prevent misunderstandings and promotes critical thinking.

How do you develop an explanation to the problem?

Developing an explanation to the problem involves conducting thorough research, gathering and analyzing data, and using critical thinking skills. It is important to consider all possible factors and evidence when creating an explanation to ensure it is accurate and well-supported.

What are the key components of a good explanation to the problem?

A good explanation to the problem should include a clear and concise statement of the problem, relevant evidence and data, a logical and well-supported argument, and a conclusion that ties everything together. It should also be presented in a way that is easy to understand and free from bias.

How can an explanation to the problem be used in the scientific process?

An explanation to the problem is an essential part of the scientific process. It helps to guide research and experimentation, analyze results, and make conclusions. It also allows for the dissemination of knowledge and contributes to the development of new theories and hypotheses.

Back