What is the resultant force acting on a skydiver in free fall?

In summary, the skydiver is experiencing a cross wind and air resistance force. The resultant force acting on the skydiver is 638.6 Newton at an angle of 5.4 degrees to vertical.
Ali Inam
Hi guys, please help me with this problem. thanks

A 75 kg sky-diver in free fall is subjected to a crosswind exerting a force of 60 Newton and to a vertical air resistance force of 100 Newton. Describe the resultant force acting on the skydiver.

I used the formula to calculate the resultant force:

Resultant Force (square) = 60 (square ) + 100 (square)

But this formula gave me the answer 117 Newtons

Answer given in my textbook is:

638.6 Newton at an angle of 5.4 degrees to vertical.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please, follow the pattern provided in the rules section. We cannot provide you any help if you don't post us your attempt to solve the problem.

This was my attempt. Couldnt think of any other solution to the problem.

I'm so sorry, I didn't see it :blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing:

Have you considered the sky-driver weight?

I meant to say that I had revised my question, I have mentioned the formula which I have used as well. Please check.

Thanks

Ali Inam said:
I meant to say that I had revised my question, I have mentioned the formula which I have used as well. Please check.

Thanks

Take note of DiracRules's suggestion.

The cross wind acts sideways.
The air resistance acts UP.
Is the sky-diver accelerating UP?

The sky diver is in FREE FALL motion, obviously accelerating downwards, I'm still getting my answer wrong though !

:confused:

You need to get the resultant vertical force and then use that in addition to the cross wind to get the overall resultant.

Write down the equation for the resultant vertical force.

And how do you describe the fact that he is free falling in terms of forces?

DiracRules said:
And how do you describe the fact that he is free falling in terms of forces?

Things only travel in the direction of the force.

When the skydiver left the plane, if the cross wind provided the only force, he would have gone sideways.
He didn't he went down; eventually so fast that an upward force of air resistance developed.

WHAT MADE HIM GO DOWN??

Related to What is the resultant force acting on a skydiver in free fall?

What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is a single force that can replace multiple forces acting on an object, producing the same effect as the original forces.

How do I calculate the resultant force?

To calculate the resultant force, you need to find the sum of all the forces acting on an object. This can be done by adding the forces in the same direction and subtracting the forces in opposite directions.

What is the formula for calculating resultant force?

The formula for calculating resultant force is R = √(Fx² + Fy² + Fz²), where Fx, Fy, and Fz are the individual forces acting on an object in the x, y, and z directions respectively.

What are the units of resultant force?

The units of resultant force are the same as the units of force, which is typically measured in Newtons (N) in the metric system or pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

Why is it important to calculate resultant force?

Calculating resultant force is important because it helps us understand the overall effect of multiple forces acting on an object. It is essential in engineering and physics to accurately determine the forces needed to keep objects in balance or to cause movement.

Back