What is the resulting current in a series circuit with a resistor and capacitor?

In summary, the problem involves finding the resulting current when a sinusoidal voltage of 240V (RMS) is applied to a series combination of a resistor with impedance of 330 and a capacitor with impedance of 318. The resulting current can be calculated using the equation I = 240/sqrt(330^2 + 318^2) and the phase of the current is yet to be determined.
patep023
I have solved it (:

Homework Statement

Ir=Impedance of a resistor = 330
Ic=Impedance of a capacitor=318
V= Sinusoidal Voltage = 240 V (RMS) is applied across the series combination.
calculate the resulting current.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really not sure how I would work out the resulting current.
Answer
I = 250/sqrt(330^2+318^2)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have solved it (:
Well done.
Please help others by explaining how you got the answer.

Should be 240/sqrt(330^2 + 318^2).
Also, you have determined the magnitude of the current but not its phase.

yes, sorry it's supposed to be 240 not 250. I am not sure what its phase is

patep023 said:
I am not sure what its phase is

Gonna take a shot at it?

Will do tomorrow

Related to What is the resulting current in a series circuit with a resistor and capacitor?

What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition that an electric circuit presents to the flow of alternating current (AC). It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

How is impedance related to resistance?

Impedance is related to resistance, but it also takes into account reactance, which is the opposition to the change in electric current caused by capacitance or inductance in a circuit. In a purely resistive circuit, impedance is equal to resistance, but in circuits with capacitors or inductors, impedance is a combination of both resistance and reactance.

What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) is a type of current where the flow of electricity periodically reverses direction. It is commonly used in household and commercial electricity. DC (direct current) is a type of current where the flow of electricity only goes in one direction. It is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

How do you calculate impedance?

Impedance can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + X²), where R is the resistance and X is the reactance. In a purely resistive circuit, reactance is zero, so the impedance is equal to the resistance. In a circuit with capacitors or inductors, the reactance must be calculated separately and then added to the resistance to find the total impedance.

Why is impedance important?

Impedance is important because it determines how much current can flow through a circuit. It also affects the voltage and power in a circuit. Understanding impedance is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits, as well as troubleshooting any issues that may arise.