What is the role of an MBA graduate in the business world?

In summary, an MBA graduate manages the affairs of a business and can have a role in various fields such as accounting, finance, marketing, and human resources. While some graduates may earn high salaries, it is not the norm and typically requires prior work experience. The reported salary of 1 crore for IIM graduates is likely an outlier and not representative of the average MBA salary.
chound
What does an MBA graduate do?

I've always wondered that coz, if u get an MBA from Indian Institute of Management u get a salary of like Rs.1 crore(I think that's roughly USD250,000. Not sure if that's a high salary in US but definitely high according to Indian standards ).
What do they actually do to warrant such a high salary?

Physics news on Phys.org
chound said:
What does an MBA graduate do?

I've always wondered that coz, if u get an MBA from Indian Institute of Management u get a salary of like Rs.1 crore(I think that's roughly USD250,000. Not sure if that's a high salary in US but definitely high according to Indian standards ).
What do they actually do to warrant such a high salary?

That's extremely high by US standards. I know for a fact MBAs in the US don't make that much money. I think the average starting salary for MBAs in the US is around 85k.

I agree with Leright that is very high, i just looked it up and it says around 65k-85k

MBA graduates manage other people. They can have a role, theoretically, in any business that produces any product imaginable. In reality, most roles require some familiarity with the business, so an MBA might be restricted by undergraduate training or experience. And no, MBA graduates do not typically earn $250k USD! If you earn more than $100k in the US, you're in the top 10% of the population. $250k would probably be more like the top 1%.

- Warren

Business Administration isn't necessarily about managing people so much as it is about managing the affairs of a business.

There's a lot of fields traditionally studied in business school that are used all over the place. Some of the big topics are accounting, finance, marketing, supply chain management, operations research, human resources, and economics. If you want to know why some people get paid so well after they leave B school, look into some of these fields. My guess is that finance and marketing generally tend to be the big money fields. If you're good anyway.

Of course, the 250k figure in the OP is absurd.

However, even the 85k starting salary is misleading. Many people who get MBA's already had work experience. Because of this, their "starting" salary as an MBA seems high.

If you look at starting salary for MBA's with less than 2 years of prior experience and you will find starting salaries that are closer to 65k, maybe even less.

From my knowledge that salary is what might be paid to the occasional star graduating from an IIM - kind of like the salary paid to perhaps some celebrated Harvard grad...the once in 3-10 years kinds. That would be reasonable. Often such salaries are paid to management graduates who have vast amounts of experience prior to the management degree. That might also be a reasonable figure when you consider that most such hires involve overseas assignments but are written about in local newspapers in local currencies. Often hyped.

Related to What is the role of an MBA graduate in the business world?

1. What career opportunities are available for MBA graduates?

MBA graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as finance, marketing, operations, consulting, and entrepreneurship. Some common job titles for MBA graduates include financial analyst, marketing manager, operations manager, management consultant, and business development manager.

2. How does an MBA degree help with career advancement?

An MBA degree provides graduates with a strong foundation in business principles, critical thinking, problem-solving, and leadership skills. This makes them well-equipped for higher-level positions and more competitive in the job market. Additionally, MBA graduates often have access to a vast alumni network and career resources provided by their business schools.

3. Can an MBA graduate work in any industry?

Yes, an MBA graduate can work in any industry as the skills acquired during an MBA program are transferable and applicable to a wide range of industries. However, some industries such as finance and consulting may be more popular among MBA graduates due to their emphasis on business and analytical skills.

4. Is work experience necessary for an MBA graduate?

While work experience is not a requirement for admission into an MBA program, it can be beneficial for MBA graduates. Many MBA programs prefer applicants who have some work experience as it adds to the diversity and richness of classroom discussions. Additionally, work experience can provide valuable real-world knowledge and skills that can be applied in the classroom and in future careers.

5. How can an MBA graduate stand out in the job market?

To stand out in the job market, MBA graduates should showcase their unique skills, experiences, and achievements. This could include highlighting specific courses or projects they excelled in, internships or work experiences, leadership roles, and any other relevant accomplishments. Networking and staying updated on industry trends and developments can also help an MBA graduate stand out in the job market.