What is the role of gas density in determining friction in space?

In summary, there is gas and dust in space, but the densities are incredibly low. In areas with high densities, such as around black holes, friction can occur due to particles rubbing against each other at high speeds. However, in the majority of space, the density is so low that air drag is negligible and does not contribute to friction.
avito009
As you know there is vacuum in space. So when there is a vacuum there can't be friction. For friction to happen gas should be there in the space. Is there gas in space and is that the reason why there is friction or not in space?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
avito009 said:
As you know there is vacuum in space. So when there is a vacuum there can't be friction. For friction to happen gas should be there in the space. Is there gas in space and is that the reason why there is friction or not in space?
There's gas and dust, but the density is extremely low and as such the friction effects are usually negligible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_dust

There is definitely gas and dust in space, but the densities are incredibly low. Around black holes, gas and dust falling into it are pulled into orbit, forming an acretion disk. The acretion disk has a whole lot of friction due to the fact that so many particles are rubbing against each other as they swirl around the black hole at colossally high speeds. Temperatures, electric fields, and magnetic fields in these kinds of environments get vey chaotic and hot. So hot in fact, that the disk surrounding the black hole begins to glow with energetic X-ray light.
In other cases, like the average density of the whole universe, that comes into a factor of about five hydrogen atoms per cubic meter, or approximately 9.47 x 10(-27) kilograms/ m^3
To get an even better idea, imagine a cubic yard of empty space, then put only 5 protons in that cubic yard. That is the critical density of our universe.

Well... Air Drag is given by ##(0.5).C.d.v^2##
Where d I density...since density of gas in space I very low, air drag is negligible.

avito009 said:

Even at very low densities, air friction -drag- does exists. For example, if at ground level, with an air density of 1280 kg/m3, a moving object has a drag of 100 Newtons at a velocity of 10 m/s
AdityaDev said:
Well... Air Drag is given by ##(0.5).C.d.v^2##
Where d I density...since density of gas in space I very low, air drag is negligible.
But with a diminishing density, drag may be kept constant by rising the speed. If we fly so high that the density is 1/10000 of that at sea level, we can keep the drag (and the lift) constant if we compensate by rising the speed by a factor of 100...

NTW said:
But with a diminishing density, drag may be kept constant by rising the speed. If we fly so high that the density is 1/10000 of that at sea level, we can keep the drag (and the lift) constant if we compensate by rising the speed by a factor of 100...

This is true, but space is way way emptier than 1/10000 the atmosphere at sea level. The actual density of particles in space is something like 1 particle per cubic meter or something like that...IIRC (but I think this is for the intergalactic medium, the ISM might be a little bit denser). So something like 26 or more orders of magnitude thinner than the air we breathe. So, to get some appreciable drag, you have to be traveling quite close to the speed of light I think...and at those velocities, I'm not sure how to calculate the drag correctly.

Related to What is the role of gas density in determining friction in space?

1. What is friction in space?

Friction in space refers to the resistance or force that acts against the motion of objects in space. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces or objects and can slow down or change the direction of motion.

2. Is there friction in a vacuum?

Yes, there is still friction in a vacuum. While there is no air resistance in space, there are other factors that can cause friction, such as the interaction between two objects or the movement of particles.

3. How does friction affect objects in space?

Friction can affect objects in space in various ways. It can slow down or stop the motion of objects, cause them to change direction, or even damage them if there is enough force.

4. Can friction be used in space travel?

Yes, friction can be used in space travel. For example, spacecraft can use atmospheric friction to slow down and enter orbit around a planet. Friction can also be used to control the movement and orientation of spacecraft.

5. Does friction have any impact on the orbits of planets?

Yes, friction can have a small impact on the orbits of planets. While the effects of friction are much smaller in space compared to on Earth, it can cause slight changes in the trajectory of planets over long periods of time.