What is the schrodinger equation?

In summary, the Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the time-evolution of a quantum system. It is used to determine the state of a system at a later time based on its state at an earlier time. The equation can be found on the Wikipedia article provided.
dbmorpher
I have seen its name in many articles I have read but I would like to know. What is it and what is its use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Roughly speaking, S.E. is an equation that governs the time-evolution of a quantum system. That is, if you know the system's state at some time and you would like to know the system's state at some later time, then you have to solve S.E.

OK thank you all

Related to What is the schrodinger equation?

What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 as part of his work on quantum mechanics.

What does the Schrodinger Equation represent?

The Schrodinger equation represents the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a specific time.

How is the Schrodinger Equation used in science?

The Schrodinger equation is used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is a crucial tool for understanding the behavior of atomic and subatomic particles, as well as the properties of matter and energy. It is also used to predict the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules, and to develop new technologies such as quantum computing.

What are the components of the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger equation consists of two main components: the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system, and the wave function, which describes the quantum state of the system. The equation also includes the imaginary number i, Planck's constant, and the mass and position of the particle.

Is the Schrodinger Equation a deterministic or probabilistic equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a probabilistic equation, meaning it can only predict the probability of a particle's location or state rather than its exact position or state. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics, known as the uncertainty principle. It states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.