What is the second part of the question asking?

• Thread starter phalanx123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation discusses a question on complex numbers and the second part of the question involves finding the loci determined by three complex numbers as z moves around a curve. The three complex numbers, u, v, and w, are defined as functions of z and the task is to find the image of the curve |z + 1 + i| = 8 under these functions. The conversation clarifies the method for finding the loci and concludes that the red curve drawn on the diagram represents the locus determined by one of the functions.
phalanx123
Hi I was asked to do a question on Complex numbers. Here is the question

Describe fully the curve in the Argand diagram whose equation is
|z + 1 + i| = 8 .

Describe fully the three loci determined, as z moves round this curve, by the three complex numbers u, v and w defined as follows:
(i) u = 2x + iy (where z = x + iy );
(ii) v = z + 4 + 3i ;
(iii) w = iv .

I got the first part no problems, its the second part - what does it mean by "as z moves round this curve, by the three complex numbers u, v and w" :confused: I am really confused. Does it mean replace the z in the equation |z + 1 + i| = 8 by u,v and w each time or something else? could somebody help me. Thanks a million.:frown:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Regard u as a function that maps x + iy to 2x + iy.
Regard v as a function that maps x + iy to (x+4) + (3+y)i
Regard w as a function that maps x + iy to (-3-y) + (x+4)i

Find the image of the curve {z : |z+1+i| = 8} under the "functions" u, v, and w.

Ok, does it mean, taking the function v for example. the locus would be given by
|(x+4) + (3+y)i+1+i| = 8
which is |(x+5)+(4+y)i|=8

where z in |z+1+i| = 8 is replaced by the new "function" v=(x+4) + (3+y)i? Thanks

No. Draw the curve defined by |z + 1 + i| = 8 using black ink, let's call this curve (it's a circle) C. Pick a point somewhere on C, let's call this point x0 + iy0. Draw a red dot at the point 2x0 + iy0. Pick another point x1 + iy1 on C. Draw a red dot at the point 2x1 + iy1. Do this for every point on C. The red curve is the locus determined by v as z moves around C. Describe this curve, and you're done question (i).

Related to What is the second part of the question asking?

What does it mean to be "confused by the question"?

Being "confused by the question" means that you do not fully understand or comprehend the question that has been posed to you.

Why do people get confused by questions?

People can get confused by questions for a variety of reasons, including: lack of knowledge or understanding of the topic, unclear or poorly worded question, mental or emotional distractions, fatigue, or language barriers.

How can I avoid getting confused by a question?

To avoid getting confused by a question, make sure to actively listen and fully understand the question before attempting to answer. If necessary, ask for clarification or more information. It can also be helpful to take a moment to gather your thoughts and organize them before responding.

What are some strategies for dealing with confusion when faced with a question?

Some strategies for dealing with confusion when faced with a question include: taking a deep breath and remaining calm, asking for clarification or more information, restating the question in your own words, and breaking down the question into smaller parts to better understand it.

How can I improve my ability to answer questions without getting confused?

Improving your ability to answer questions without getting confused can be achieved through practice and preparation. Make sure to actively listen, ask for clarification when needed, and have a good understanding of the topic. It can also be helpful to practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills to effectively analyze and respond to questions.