What is the Shockley-Queisser Limit and Its Implications for Solar Energy?

• Thread starter Max Loo Pin Mok
  • Start date
In summary, the Shockley-Queisser Limit is a theoretical maximum efficiency of a solar cell, calculated to be 33.7% due to the conversion of photons into usable energy. It has implications for solar energy as it sets a target for researchers to strive towards in order to increase the efficiency of solar cells. However, current solar cell technology is far from reaching this limit and faces challenges such as material limitations and loss of energy through heat. Overcoming these challenges is crucial for the widespread adoption of solar energy as a sustainable and efficient source of power.
Max Loo Pin Mok
Hello everyone,

I graduated from Nanyang Technological University in 2001 with a Honours Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical and Electronics majoring in Computer Engineering. I did my MBA from 2003-2008 with U21Global. Now, I work as an admin in a small company. When I have time, I do research into solar energy and mental illness. I'm currently reviewing the Shockley–Queisser limit.

I hope to learn from everyone here and share what I know. Max

Likes FritoTaco and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Max. We're glad to have you.

I had to google Shockley–Queisser limit. I'm glad to learn that it relates to solar energy and not mental illness. :wink:

Likes Max Loo Pin Mok, FritoTaco and berkeman