What is the Shortest Cord Length for Clock to Outlet?

• Thread starter PRodQuanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, the shortest length for an extension cord from a clock .3 feet from the top wall to an outlet .3 feet from the bottom wall in a room with dimensions 10 feet x 4 feet x 3 feet is 12.70275561 feet. This can be calculated by mentally unfolding the walls and drawing a straight line from point A to point B, as explained by Gokul and Janitor.
PRodQuanta
Picture a room (a rectangular prism) that is 10 feet long x 4 feet wide x 3 feet high. Now, in the middle of the 4 foot wall, .3 feet down from the top, there is a clock. On the opposite wall, .3 foot from the bottom, there is an outlet.

So... I want the shortest length for the extension cord from the clock that is .3 feet from the top to the plug in that is .3 from the bottom.

The cord must be touching a wall at all times (it must be taped to the wall) (or the floor or ceiling.)

i.e.-If you went in a straight line. You would go 2.7 feet down, 10 foot across, and .3 feet up, for a grand total of 13 foot.

There is another way to get a shorter distance.

Paden Roder

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some quick calculations give me ...
::I can get upto 12.70275561::
I don't think i can do better than that ...

-- AI

I have seen this sort of problem before. The solution can be found by imagining the walls/floor/ceiling to be made of folded paper, and mentally unfolding them to make them flat, then drawing a straight line from point A to point B.

I get [itex]\sqrt {(10 + 0.3 + 0.3)^2 + (3+4)^2}[/itex]

Gokul, how did you come to find this answer?

Paden Roder

PRodQuanta said:

Paden Roder

Read the equation. :smile:

PRodQuanta said:

Paden Roder

Basically, you do what Janitor said...only you have to know the right way to unfold the paper model, for there are many possibilities. Looks like Tenali got this first, and my number is the same as his...so I'm thinking it's probably the right one.

see picture in attachment.

Attachments

• linewall.bmp
    9 KB · Views: 772

Related to What is the Shortest Cord Length for Clock to Outlet?

1. What is the "Shortest Cord Challenge"?

The "Shortest Cord Challenge" is a scientific experiment that involves measuring and comparing the shortest possible length of a piece of string or cord that can connect two points.

2. How is the shortest cord determined in this challenge?

The shortest cord is determined by taking the straight-line distance between two points and subtracting the diameter of the objects at each point. This results in the shortest possible length of cord that can connect the two points without any slack.

3. What is the purpose of the "Shortest Cord Challenge"?

The purpose of this challenge is to explore the concept of shortest distance and to understand the relationship between distance and diameter. It also allows for the application of mathematical and scientific principles in a practical and fun way.

4. What materials are needed for the "Shortest Cord Challenge"?

The materials needed for this challenge include a ruler or measuring tape, a piece of string or cord, and two objects with known diameters (such as coins or marbles).

5. Can this challenge be modified for different levels or ages?

Yes, the "Shortest Cord Challenge" can be modified for different levels or ages by changing the difficulty of the measurements or by incorporating more complex mathematical concepts. For younger students, the challenge can be simplified by using larger objects and measuring in whole units rather than fractions. For older students, the challenge can be made more challenging by introducing irregularly shaped objects or incorporating trigonometric functions to calculate the shortest cord length.