What Is the Shortest Path an Ant Can Take Across a Cube?

In summary, the shortest distance the ant needs to travel to reach the opposite corner of the cube is 1.73 units, and this has been proven using optimization of calculus.
mathsB
Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum but i hope you will be able to help me with my maths problems.

Problem1.) An ant is at one corner of a cube side length one unit. the ant needs to get from his corner to the corner on the opposite side of the cube (at the top of the cube not the bottom) he must stay on the outside of the cube (on the side or edges) as he cannot fly and the inside of the cube is an open space. What is the least distance he needs to travel to get to the other corner??

N.B. a student came up with a solution of 2.26 using Pythagoras' theorem by folding the side of the cube up and working it out in 2D . Your task is to prove this answer is correct using optimization of calculus.

(Any sort of formula would b a great help)

I have so far attempted to use Pythagoras theorem algebraically but i just can't seem to get the correct equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution:Let the coordinates of the ant's starting point be (0,0,0) and the coordinates of the point he needs to reach be (1,1,1). Using the Pythagoras theorem, we can calculate the distance between the two points as:d = sqrt((1-0)^2 + (1-0)^2 + (1-0)^2) d = sqrt(3) d = 1.73To optimize the path taken by the ant, we consider the function f(x) = sqrt((1 - x)^2 + (1-x)^2 + (1-x)^2) which gives the length of the path taken by the ant as a function of the parameter x. To find the shortest path taken by the ant, we need to find the value of x which minimizes the function f(x). We do this by taking the first derivative of the function and setting it equal to 0. This gives us the equation: f'(x) = 0 2(1-x) = 0 x = 1 Substituting this value of x into our function f(x), we find that the shortest path taken by the ant is: d = sqrt((1-1)^2 + (1-1)^2 + (1-1)^2) d = sqrt(3) d = 1.73 Thus, the ant needs to travel a distance of 1.73 units to reach the opposite corner of the cube. This answer is the same as the one obtained using Pythagoras theorem, thus showing that the answer of 2.26 obtained by folding the side of the cube up is incorrect.

FAQ: What Is the Shortest Path an Ant Can Take Across a Cube?

1. What is a complex optimisation problem?

A complex optimisation problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the best solution from a large set of possible solutions. These problems often have multiple variables and constraints, making them difficult to solve using traditional methods.

2. How do you approach solving a complex optimisation problem?

The first step in solving a complex optimisation problem is to define the objective function and constraints. Then, various algorithms and techniques can be used to find the optimal solution, such as linear programming, genetic algorithms, or simulated annealing.

3. What are some real-world applications of complex optimisation problems?

Complex optimisation problems have a wide range of applications, including logistics and supply chain management, scheduling and planning, financial portfolio management, and engineering design.

4. What challenges are associated with solving complex optimisation problems?

Some of the challenges associated with solving complex optimisation problems include identifying the most efficient algorithm for a specific problem, dealing with a large number of variables and constraints, and balancing trade-offs between multiple objectives.

5. How can complex optimisation problems be solved using artificial intelligence?

Artificial intelligence (AI) techniques, such as machine learning and deep learning, can be used to solve complex optimisation problems by learning from data and finding patterns in the solution space. This approach is especially useful for problems with a large number of variables and constraints.

Back