What Is the Shortest Path an Ant Can Take Across a Cube?

• Thread starter takando12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary: Thanks for catching that!I forgot all about the walls. I think the multiple "edges" in the question kept me thinking of ways for it to crawl mostly along the edges.In summary, an ant which can crawl along the walls of a cubical box of side 1 m can travel from one edge to the diagonally opposite edge by traveling what shortest distance? The options are: a) 2m, b) √2 + 1 m, c) √3 m, or d) √5 m.
takando12

Homework Statement

An ant which can crawl along the walls of a cubical box of side 1 m can travel from one edge to the diagonally opposite edge by traveling what shortest distance?
The options are : a) 2m b)√2 +1 m c) √3 m d) √5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram and the shortest distance is the diagonal of the cube √3 m .But the ant can't fly so I thought the next option is for it to crawl diagonally on one of the faces and then through 1 edge to reach the diagonally opposite point. That would make my answer √2 +1 m . But the right answer is √5 m. Where have I gone wrong? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
takando12 said:
That would make my answer √2 +1 m . But the right answer is √5 m. Where have I gone wrong? Please help.

While the length of your path certainly is ##\sqrt 2 + 1## m, it is not the shortest path on the surface of the cube.

takando12 said:
An ant which can crawl along the walls of a cubical box of side 1 m can travel from one edge to the diagonally opposite edge by traveling what shortest distance?
Are you sure it doesn't say "from one corner to the diagonally opposite corner"?

Likes takando12
Do you know the theory of maxima and minima in the differential calculus? You have considered a path consisting of two segments. There are other such paths. Instead of walking to the corner, walk on one face to some intermediate point up one edge (say x from the base), and then across a second face to the diametrically opposite corner. The length formula is easy to work out. Then apply the calculus to find and extremal value for x. If you don't know the calculus, you could get a computer to plot a graph of length vs x and look for the minimum. Or you could also use a symmetry argument to argue that the extremal occurs at the most symmetrical point on the edge (x=1-x).

There's also a simple way without calculus: If the box were unfolded, would the distance of each path change?

Likes takando12 and MarcusAgrippa
Nathanael said:
There's also a simple way without calculus: If the box were unfolded, would the distance of each path change?

Brilliant. Amazing how simple solutions often escape one's attention! Something about trees and the wood ...

Of course, this also works with any surface that can be "rolled out" onto a plain with our distorting the surface, such as a cylinder, or any ruled surface like a single sheeted hyperbola. (Called "developing" the surface onto a plain.)

MarcusAgrippa said:
Of course, this also works with any surface that can be "rolled out" onto a plain with our distorting the surface, such as a cylinder, or any ruled surface like a single sheeted hyperbola. (Called "developing" the surface onto a plain.)
Luckily the ant chose a box, because flattening a single sheet hyperbola in such a way that distances are preserved does not sound like fun! :oldsmile:

(Actually it does sound kind of fun the more I think about it. It sounds like the 2-dimensional analog of 'parametrization by arc length.')

Let us keep this discussion on topic and wait to hear back from the OP. Unfolding sheeted hyperbolae is not part of the OP's assignment.

insightful said:
Are you sure it doesn't say "from one corner to the diagonally opposite corner"?
No it says edge, but they mean corner i guess.

I forgot all about the walls. I think the multiple "edges" in the question kept me thinking of ways for it to crawl mostly along the edges.
Now I'm on the right track. I don't want to use calculus for this please :smile:. I opened the box up and there's a path length which we can calculate using the pythagoras theorem 22+ 12 = 5
That's a straight line path and is the shortest √5 m. Thank you all for the help!

takando12 said:
No it says edge, but they mean corner i guess.
Yeah, incorrectly worded then.

Related to What Is the Shortest Path an Ant Can Take Across a Cube?

1. What is the "Ant and Cubical Box Problem"?

The "Ant and Cubical Box Problem" is a classic mathematics puzzle that involves a hypothetical scenario where an ant is placed inside a cubical box. The ant is then asked to travel from one corner of the box to the opposite corner, covering the maximum distance possible.

2. How can the ant travel the maximum distance in the cubical box?

The ant can travel the maximum distance in the cubical box by following a specific path known as the "shortest path". This path involves the ant traveling along the edges of the cube, rather than diagonally through the center of the box. This is because the diagonal distance is longer than the sum of the three edges.

3. What is the shortest path for the ant in the cubical box?

The shortest path for the ant in the cubical box is known as the "space diagonal". This refers to the longest diagonal of the cube, which is the diagonal connecting two opposite corners of the cube. In other words, the ant should travel along the edges of the cube that are parallel to the space diagonal.

4. Is there a mathematical formula to calculate the maximum distance traveled by the ant in the cubical box?

Yes, there is a mathematical formula to calculate the maximum distance traveled by the ant in the cubical box. It is known as the "Pythagorean theorem" and it states that in a right-angled triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can be applied to the cube to calculate the maximum distance traveled by the ant.

5. What is the relevance of the "Ant and Cubical Box Problem" in real life?

The "Ant and Cubical Box Problem" is a fun and interesting puzzle that helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, it also has real-life applications in fields such as engineering and computer science. The concept of finding the shortest path in a 3D space is crucial in designing efficient transportation systems and optimizing computer algorithms.