What is the significance of complex conjugates in Bra-ket notation?

In summary, the bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics is a way to represent vectors and linear functionals in an inner product space. The bras are the conjugate-transposes of the column vectors, and this choice allows for the definition of a positive-definite norm. This notation is derived from the Riesz representation theorem and is commonly used in quantum mechanics.
iScience
so I'm fine with the kets, e.g, |a>.. but i don't understand what the bras are. the kets are basically just a column vector right? ie the components (with the direction) of the vector being described.
but what is the bra?

this was given to us in class:
<a|=a1<e1|+a2<e2|= (a1* a2*)

(where e1 and e2 are the unit basis vectors)

but why the complex conjugates? where'd they come from?

and the professor gave us this in class:

<a|b>=a1*b1<e1|e1>+a1*b2<e1|e2>+a2*b1<e2|e1>+a2*b2<e2|e2>

i understand the pattern but i am still at a loss as to where this all came from

Physics news on Phys.org
Given a vector space ##V## over the desired field there exists a dual space ##V^{*}## consisting of all linear functionals mapping elements of ##V## into said field. Furthermore given an inner product ##< , >## on ##V## there exists a bijection between ##V## and ##V^{*}## such that for any ##v\in V##, there exists a unique ##f \in V^{*}## such that ##f(w) = <v, w>## for all ##w\in V##, which is normally called the Riesz representation theorem. As a result, given any ##v\in V## we can denote it by ##|v\rangle## (called a "ket vector") and since the Riesz representation theorem says there exists a unique ##f\in V^{*}## associated with ##v## such that ##f(w) = <v,w>##, we can simply denote ##f## by ##\langle v|## (called a "bra vector") and denote ##f(w)## by ##\langle v|w\rangle## so that ##\langle v|w\rangle= <v,w>##. So the Riesz representation theorem is the reason why bra-ket notation can be used.

Since this poster is probably just starting with quantum mechanics, do you actually think that any of that is going to be useful to him/her? Looks to me like you are showing off instead of helping the poster. I would like to see some other responses to the original post, something more digestible for a beginner. Maybe I'm wrong and your post cleared it up perfectly to the original poster (It sure didn't for me)... Often people asking for help around here get replies that are correct, but not useful at all.

Yah.. ModusPwnd is correct.. the answer you gave WannabeNewton, is something i could have easily found on wikipedia or on some other web site, but, although embaressing, i still do not understand mathematical statements like the one you just gave. can you put it in terms of easer.. lingo/format?

Last edited:
iScience,

Consider a simple system whose states can be spanned by a finite number of basis states. (I.e., any state can be expressed as a linear combination of those basis states.) This is modeled in basic QM by an inner product space (i.e., vector space with an inner product defined thereon). IF it were a real vector space, then the bras would simply be the transposes of the column vectors. But in QM, we use complex vector spaces in general, so the bras are conjugate-transposes of the column vectors. This corresponds to the 1st equation you wrote in your original post.

This choice is made so that the inner product on the space, can be used to define a positive-definite norm. E.g., ##\def\<{\langle} \def\>{\rangle}##
$$
\|a\| ~:=~ \<a|a\> ~=~ \pmatrix{a_1^* & a_2^*} \pmatrix{a_1 \\ a_2} ~=~ |a_1|^2 + |a_2|^2
~\ge~ 0~.
$$I can't say much more than that without knowing more of the context of your lecture. (I'm guessing it's in the context of a system with 2 independent states.)

Btw, WBN's reply is also applicable to the infinite-dimensional Hilbert spaces that are quite common in QM.

Last edited:
ModusPwnd said:
Since this poster is probably just starting with quantum mechanics, do you actually think that any of that is going to be useful to him/her? Looks to me like you are showing off instead of helping the poster.
It helps to keep in mind that this forum is really intended for graduate-level questions. Homework and textbook-level questions should probably go in the homework forum.

strangerep said:
this forum is really intended for graduate-level questions.

No, it's not. Undergraduate-level conceptual questions are fine here. Even high-school level, although you don't get too many of those in QM!

The homework forums are for getting help with working through specific exercises, e.g. from textbooks.

Likes 1 person
ignore this reply

Related to What is the significance of complex conjugates in Bra-ket notation?

What is bra-ket notation and how is it used?

Bra-ket notation, also known as Dirac notation, is a mathematical notation commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators. It uses a combination of the symbols "bra" and "ket" to represent the inner product between two vectors. It is used to simplify calculations and make the representation of quantum states more concise.

What is the difference between a bra and a ket in bra-ket notation?

In bra-ket notation, a "bra" represents a complex conjugate vector, while a "ket" represents a regular vector. This is denoted by the * symbol in the bra, indicating the complex conjugate of the vector.

How do you perform operations using bra-ket notation?

To perform operations using bra-ket notation, you must first define the operators and vectors involved in the calculation. Then, you can use the appropriate rules and formulas to manipulate the notation and solve for the desired result. It is important to keep track of the bra and ket notation throughout the calculation.

What are the common mistakes when using bra-ket notation?

One common mistake when using bra-ket notation is forgetting to include the complex conjugate in the bra vector. Another mistake is not properly defining the operators and vectors before performing operations. It is also important to pay attention to the order of the notation, as switching the order of the bra and ket can lead to incorrect results.

How can I improve my understanding of bra-ket notation?

To improve your understanding of bra-ket notation, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with the rules and formulas. It may also be helpful to study and review the basics of linear algebra, as bra-ket notation is based on vector operations. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks or online tutorials can also aid in understanding the notation.