What Is the Significance of Parametric Equations in Mathematics?

In summary: If you imagine "time" going infinitely fast, so that the point moves instantaneously from (2 cos t, 2 sin t, t) to (2 cos (t+ dt), 2 sin (t+ dt), t+ dt) to (2 cos (t+ 2dt), 2 sin (t+ 2dt), t+ 2dt), etc. you see that the point moves along a helix with the z-height increasing by 1 each time it goes around the circle.In summary, parametric equations are used when the coordinates of a point cannot be expressed as a function of a single variable. They can also be used to represent objects in motion. The conversion from a vector equation
LinearAlgebra
Hi,

Can someone explain to me what a parametric equation is exactly? Why it is used (instead of a normal function)? In other words, what is the significance of it?

Second, to be more specific, in my book, there is an example where
r(t) 2 costi + 2sintj + tk t>0.
Then what they say is that the "parametric equations of the curve are x=2cost, y=2sint and z=t". How did they get this? How did they know to extract a parametric equation from this?
Then from that (and this is where i got really lost) they said that
x^2 + y^2 = (2cost)^2 + (2sint)^2 = 2^2

? Can someone please explain this train of thought? I'm pretty sure this is a basic concept but i just don't understand the fundamental idea behind it. Thanks so much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, I'm moving this out of "Linear and Abstact Algebra", since it has nothing to do with either, to "General Math".

Parametric equations are used when some geometrical (or physical) properties, inherent in the problem, as, for example, the x and y coordinates of a point, are given as functions of some extra parameter that is not inherent in the original problem.

There are two reasons for doing this. First, it often happens that we cannot write a curve in two dimensions in terms of a function y= f(x) because the has two different y values for a single x value. Any closed curve, like a circle, has that property. We can, in situations like that, write both x and y as a function of some other variable. If for example, you have a circle of radius 2 centered at (0,0) so it has equation x2+ y[/sup]2[/sup]= 4, you cannot solve for y as a function of x. You would have to write both [itex]y= \sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex] and [itex]y= -\sqrt{4-x^2}[/itex]. If, instead, you draw a radius from the point (x,y) to the center, you should see a right triangle, having legs of length x and y and hypotenuse of length 2. If we call the angle between the radius and the x-axis "t", then , by the definition of sine and cosine, sin(t)= y/2, cos(t)= x/2 so that x= 2cos(t), y= 2 sin(t).

A parameter doesn't have to have any geometric significance, like that t being an angle. The crucial point is the calculatin where you say you got "lost". (2 cos t)2+ (2 sin t)2= 4 cos2 t+ 4 sin2 t= 4(cos2 t+ sin2 t)= 4.
Are you not aware that cos2 t+ sin2 t= 1 for all angles t? That's easily derived from the Pythagorean theorem.

Another important reason for using parametric equations is that 3 dimensions, we can't write a curve in terms of a single equation. In three dimensions each point is given 3 coordinates, x, y, and z. A single equation restricts one of those but we are still free to choose the other two- that's a two dimensional equation, the equation of a surface not a curve. For example if 2x+ 2y- z= 4, I could take x and y to be any values I want and then solve for z. That's the equation of a plane. If I want a one dimensional curve, I might use two equations. For example, if I have both 2x+ 2y- z= 4 and x+ y- 2z= 3, I can select a value for anyone coordinate and have two equations left to solve for the other two- that's a one-dimensional object. (It is, in fact, the straight line at which the two planes intersect.) It is, however, much simpler to have equations that give x, y, z directly as a function of one variable- t. Since we are free to choose t and then can solve for x, y, z, that is "one dimensional"- a curve in 3 dimensions.

Another, non-mathematical reason for using parametric equations is that physicists can think of t as "time" and use the equations to repesent an object moving along the curve. That's often a good way to imagine parametric equations- an object moving along the curve so that it is at point (x(t), y(t), z(t)) at each time t.

As far as the change from "r(t)= 2 costi + 2sintj + tk" to "x=2cost, y=2sint and z=t" is concerned, that's a matter of definition- the "position vector" of the point with coordinates (x,y,z) is defined as xi+ yj+ zk, the vector from (0,0,0) to (x,y,z). One is the "vector equation", the other "parametric equation" but they are equivalent.

That curve is, by the way, called a "Helix"- it looks like a coiled spring. If you imagine looking straight down along the z-axis, so that you can't see the z-height, you see only (x,y)= (2 cos t, 2 sin t) and, as we saw, x(2 cos t)2+ (2 sin t)2= 4 cos2 t+ 4 sin2 t= 4(cos2 t+ sin2 t)= 4. We are seeing a circle of radius 2. Of course, looking "from the side" so we can see the z-height, we see the point (x,y,z), as t increases (think of it as "time") moving upward at the same time it goes around in a circle.

Parametric equations are a way to represent a curve or a surface in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters can be thought of as variables that control the shape and position of the curve or surface. They are typically written in the form of x=f(t), y=g(t), z=h(t), where t is the parameter and x, y, and z are the coordinates of a point on the curve or surface.

One of the main reasons for using parametric equations is that they can often simplify calculations and make it easier to plot and analyze curves and surfaces. For example, in the case of the equation r(t) = 2costi + 2sintj + tk, the parameter t represents the time, and as t increases, the point on the curve moves along the path defined by the equation. This can be useful in physics, where time is often a factor in the motion of objects.

In the example you mentioned, the parametric equations x=2cost, y=2sint, and z=t were extracted from the given equation by simply isolating the x, y, and z variables. This allows us to easily see how the coordinates of a point on the curve change as the parameter t changes.

As for the train of thought behind the equation x^2 + y^2 = (2cost)^2 + (2sint)^2 = 2^2, this is simply an application of the Pythagorean theorem. Since x=2cost and y=2sint, we can substitute these values into the equation x^2 + y^2 to get (2cost)^2 + (2sint)^2. Then, using the trigonometric identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, we can simplify this to 2^2, which is equal to 4. This shows that for any value of t, the point on the curve will always be a distance of 4 from the origin.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of parametric equations for you. They may seem complicated at first, but with practice, they can be a valuable tool in understanding and analyzing curves and surfaces.

Related to What Is the Significance of Parametric Equations in Mathematics?

1. What exactly are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters represent the independent variables in the equations and can be used to describe complex curves and shapes in mathematics.

2. How are parametric equations different from regular equations?

In regular equations, the variables are directly related to each other and can be solved for using algebraic manipulation. In parametric equations, the variables are independent and are represented by separate equations. This allows for a more flexible and comprehensive representation of curves and shapes.

3. What applications do parametric equations have in real life?

Parametric equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are particularly useful in describing the motion of objects in two or three dimensions, such as projectile motion or the movement of planets in space.

4. How do you graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, you can plot points by choosing values for the parameters and then connecting them with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or computer software to generate a graph based on the equations.

5. Can parametric equations be converted into regular equations?

Yes, parametric equations can be converted into regular equations by eliminating the parameters and solving for one variable in terms of the other. However, this may result in a more complex and less intuitive representation of the curve or shape.